Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) extranet for a Sesame client workstation (Read 4954 times)
lksseven

Re: extranet for a Sesame client workstation
Reply #15 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 4:37am
Print Post Print Post  
"NO MAPPING! We're actually client/server. If your IP address, as exposed to the internet is 123.123.123.1, then the Customer would set the icon to run the program as something like:
C:\Sesame2\Program\sesame.exe - client 123.123.123.1"

".the clients can install DynDNS free software, and your server can confirm the incoming IP against the master whitelist.  Your server would update the whitelist by doing lookups at DynDNS."

^^^^^^^
I have a static IP DSL account, so that will be easy.   But to be specific:  let's say my internet IP is 64.100.150.85, and the Sesame server is on a computer on my network with an internal IP of 192.168.1.100 .... soooo, I would assign a pinhole 1030 on my internet router to point at my Sesame server with the internal IP 192.168.1.100, so the customer's Sesame client link would be c:\sesame\sesame.exe -client 64.100.150.85:1030  ?  And the client would then be able to find the Sesame server software and data residing on my Sesame server on the computer at 192.168.1.100 (without being told somehow specifically where - drive, directory - on the 192.168.1.100 computer)?

Having never seen a setup like this in person, it's these sticky details that I'm having trouble visualizing.  Sorry!

Larry
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #16 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 4:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
let's say my internet IP is 64.100.150.85, and the Sesame server is on a computer on my network with an internal IP of 192.168.1.100 .... soooo, I would assign a pinhole 1030 on my internet router to point at my Sesame server with the internal IP 192.168.1.100, so the customer's Sesame client link would be c:\sesame\sesame.exe -client 64.100.150.85:1030  ?  And the client would then be able to find the Sesame server software and data residing on my Sesame server on the computer at 192.168.1.100 (without being told somehow specifically where - drive, directory - on the 192.168.1.100 computer)?

That IP control does sound correct.  Client icon is 64.100.150.85:1030.
Router uses pinhole to redirect to internal 192.168.1.100.

But I am not sure if Sesame will perform through those paths, will need answer from Lanticans on that part.
I think that your Sesame server will also need to be set up using port 1030 and your internal clients also.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #17 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 5:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob,

the details you specify "I think that your Sesame server will also need to be set up using port 1030 and your internal clients also" .... that's the piece I don't have any knowledge/understanding of - where the rubber meets the road on my end.   All of my internal network experience is with drive mapping and workstations acting as a server. 

Just more to learn!

Larry
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #18 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 9:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
See the Help for starting your Server and Client. 

Example here:
C:\Sesame2\Program\sesame.exe  -server ServerName:1030:1031
C:\Sesame2\Program\sesame.exe  -client ServerName:1030:1031

Don't  know if you may need to add 1031 to your router pinholes.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #19 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 10:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,
I appreciate your help - let me know if I'm dragging you down too much with too many questions..

Should my router pinhole screen looks like this?:
Pinhole Name             SesameServer
Protocol Select            TCP
External Port Start     1030
External Port End       1031
Internal IP Address   192.168.1.100      
Internal Port             1030

??

Regarding Sesame help ... I haven't received my order yet  Shocked (I'm jumping the gun, but  that's what people in Sooner state do!)  I guess I can look thru the help on my trial version?  I'll do that.

But, basically, if I go to a command window on the computer that will house my Sesame server software and data, and type in these commands you list, that this will allow the client coming in thru the pinhole to find the Sesame server (because the Server is broadcasting that it's looking on port 1030 and 1031)?

Larry
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #20 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 3:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
The ports under TCP/IP are the last step of the addressing system. An IP address specifies the computer to connect to. The port specifies a protocol or server-program to connect to. For example, FTP typically uses port 20. HTTP uses port 80. SMTP uses port 25. Connecting to a particular port indicates to the server that you intend to perform a particular action (i.e: transfer a file, access a web page, send to email) using a particular protocol.

Sesame defaults to using ports 20000 and 20001, but can be placed on any ports that are not otherwise occupied. It is important to avoid ports numbered below 1024 because those are assigned to basic TCP/IP programs from the original specs of the 1960 and 1970s. It is wise to avoid ports below 8196 because those are reserved for the standards groups to assign for fixed use by programs that apply to the standards group. The highest reliable number is 65535.

It is probably unnecessary to have your client come in on fixed addresses to use the sesame_allow and sesame_deny files. Both allow a range to be specified using a wildcard character. So you can set the allow file to 192.168.0.*, for example, and allow all of the computers assigned from 192.168.0.0 to 192.169.0.255 to access your server. If you specify 192.168.*, you allow all of the computers from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 to access your server. Etc...

Because ISPs typically hand customers IP addresses in the same range, even if your customers get reassigned IP addresses regularly, it unlikely that those addresses will be outside a 255 range. Combined with a password to access their account on your server, you should be able to differentiate your customers from the random visitor, especially since random visitors are unlikely to have a Sesame client at hand.

The trial version of Sesame will run as a server or a client, just like the commercial version will. So if you want to start getting set up, you can, without having to wait for your oder to go through. You can certainly start experimenting to see what configuration works best for you.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #21 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 4:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
I may be wrong about this Mark, but this does not make sense to me.  I must be misunderstanding it:
Quote:
It is probably unnecessary to have your client come in on fixed addresses to use the sesame_allow and sesame_deny files.

Clients from the outside will not be able to use 192.xxx scheme.  They must use the public WAN address, 64.100.150.85.  That is necessary to connect with the router from the outside.  With the guidelines you have provided, they could use the default ports 20000 and 20001, so the outside Client would have the address 64.100.150.85:20000 and the router would have to make pinholes for 20000 to redirect to an internal LAN address of 192.xxx

Since Sesame is using 20000 and 20001, then they may need to make pinholes for both ports, not just the 20000 in the address.  But, perhaps if all ports on the router are open, then no pinholes may be needed?

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #22 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 4:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark,

Wow, your message was like a college semester rolled into a few paragraphs.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate the time you spent to help me.  That may be the piece that makes all the other pieces come together.

Regarding getting started, I've been experimenting with some form design - trying to learn the in's and out's of the Form Designer, field names, what makes sense to cross over from my QA forms, and what doesn't. 

I had recently put a Netgear Networked Attached Storage RAID on my network.  My plan was to put all of my databases and data-mining programs (QA, accounting data files, Forest and Trees views, etc) on there, and enjoy the disk mirroring security and backup convenience of the NAS.  But, I quickly learned that my live accounting data files couldn't reside on the NAS (it's client server using a Pervasive Btrieve database, and the data imust apparently reside on a workstation), but my QA data files can. 

But  I assume because Sesame is client/server  that I must have the server software and data files reside on the same computer, and then use the NAS for backup and other storage functions?
             If that is correct, then I'll need to setup a workstation to be my Sesame server.  (my accounting data has been running on an HP NT workstation computer for the last 9 years 24/7 - what a workhorse computer.  I'm worried about it expiring, and have another computer that's ready to step in when it does.  I don't think I can put Sesame on this accounting server though - it's only got 128MB of RAM, and the hard disk is not a lot of space free (a couple of gig - I think it's only a 4gb drive though - 1999 vintage!).

Thanks again for your help and time on a Sunday!

Larry
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #23 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 1:54am
Print Post Print Post  
Bob_Hansen wrote on Feb 1st, 2009 at 4:03pm:
I may be wrong about this Mark, but this does not make sense to me.  I must be misunderstanding it:
Quote:
It is probably unnecessary to have your client come in on fixed addresses to use the sesame_allow and sesame_deny files.

Clients from the outside will not be able to use 192.xxx scheme. 

I only used that address as an example. If an ISP is assigning 65.55.211.0 through 65.55.211.255, you could put 65.55.211.* in your allow file and you would then allow all of those addresses to connect to the server. Your client could then come in using any of those 255 addresses and still connect. Even very large ISP are likely to put their customers on similarly ranged addresses every time that customer connects. So a range will often work. Almost all routers set up DHCP to assign addresses within a particular range. Each ISP customer is likely to be using the same router every time they connect. Hence they will get an address in the range assigned to that router.

A larger problem is that it is unlikely that a client will have any idea what IP address they have been assigned.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #24 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 2:04am
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Feb 1st, 2009 at 4:04pm:
But  I assume because Sesame is client/server  that I must have the server software and data files reside on the same computer, and then use the NAS for backup and other storage functions?

As long as the server can access the data files as though they are on that computer, whether that particular harddrive is on that computer or not, Sesame will be reasonably happy. So you can, for example, access the data files through NFS or MS-File-Sharing, so long as the server computer and only the server computer is accessing the files. You will, of course take a speed hit for dragging the files across the network between the Sesame server and the file server.

Quote:
             it's only got 128MB of RAM, and the hard disk is not a lot of space free (a couple of gig - I think it's only a 4gb drive though - 1999 vintage!).

128 MB is not enough. Most of the work is done on the Sesame server, not on the client computers, the exact opposite from the setup for file sharing.

Quote:
Thanks again for your help and time on a Sunday!

No problem.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #25 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 5:33am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
A larger problem is that it is unlikely that a client will have any idea what IP address they have been assigned.

That's an easy one to solve.  Smiley
Have them go here: http://www.ip-adress.com/

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #26 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 9:15pm
Print Post Print Post  

Carl's suggestion is correct, but no need to open a browser to get your IP.

Many posts ago I suggested using DynDNS,org free tools.  So, let me repeat the suggestion.

Can see your IP in the systray at any time, and others who want to know your IP can ping to yourname.dyndns.org.  If your IP changes, that change is broadcast to dyndns.org servers automatically, and the value in your systray will also be modified.  So Client can always know their IP and Hosts can always check incoming IPs against a whirelist that can be updated from dyndns.org.  A good use is also when need to make a remote connection to someonw with a dynamic IP.  Enter the dyndns.org name vs. the IP and no lookups are needed, site is treated like a static domain name.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #27 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 9:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
DynDns.org (or similar service) is the way to go unless you subscribe to Static IP that costs much more. I have been using Remote Desktop and PCAnywhere using DynDns that broadcasts change of IP address that goes to the domain assigned to you by DynDns. Above all this service is for free.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #28 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 10:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
DynDNS may be very worthwhile, but I do not want to create the erroneous impression that it is necessary to allow your clients to connect to your server which is already at a fixed address, as is the case here.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #29 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 10:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Since Sesame Server has fixed IP, there is no need for Dyndns for interacting with it, I understand that. I was referring to DynamicIP provided by ISP to the computer, that makes it difficult to connect to the computer remotely if you do not keep up with that changing IP. DYNDNS.org service is used to overcome that particular problem.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print