Normal Topic Barcodes & Sesame (Read 1167 times)
proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Barcodes & Sesame
Feb 18th, 2009 at 5:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
I would like to get any advice or tips anyone has for setting up my inventory with barcodes to be used in sesame. I have already done a search on the forum for barcodes and printed that out, just would like to get it setup right the first time.

Thanks !!

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Barcodes & Sesame
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 1:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've found using barcodes with Sesame to be a non-issue. You use a piece of hardware or software that acts as a keyboard wedge. The computer (and Sesame) see the information provided by the barcode reader just as if it had been typed in with the keyboard. Doesn't require any kind of special handling.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 8:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Since I've been told there are no dumb questions, I'm going to ask one, having never worked with barcodes how does Sesame know that barcode xyz = item # 1000 is my inventory? Do you have to assocaite a barcode with each inventory item?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 9:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
A barcode isn't a "thing" that you associate with the number. It is simply a different way of printing the number. Think of it as a font. All the examples below read as "1000". So would 1000 written in a barcode font.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 10:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Here is a sample of text with Arial and Bar USPS fonts:  It just has the same text printed twice on each line, but the first group is in Arial, and the second one is with BarUSPS

It is a good practice to use human readable fonts with the barcode font.

Sesame will not be an issue for you with barcodes.  Your concerns will be which bar codes to use, what you need for scanning equipment, the environment where scanning will be done, and the printers.  Strongly suggest a special barcode printer or a laser printer vs. a bubble jet.

There are many  barcodes to choose from.  You may want to mix codes on same labels to support bar code needs of your vendors/customers as well as your own.  You should check to see if your industry uses a specific barcode.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged