Normal Topic AskUser to verify a value before posting (Read 500 times)
lksseven

AskUser to verify a value before posting
Mar 8th, 2009 at 5:21am
Print Post Print Post  
My issue is have the user verify/make sure that the cost they input is the correct cost (as a last effort to make sure the cost value is correct, as the next field exit/element change will result in this new cost value being posted to the Inventory cost record.

The following is the code that seems to test well.  Does someone see a problem with it that will bite me down the road?

ItemCost:: On Element Change

var vAnswer as Money
var vItemCost as money
var vFinal as Money
vItemCost = @ToMoney(ItemCost)

If ((@Mode() = 0) or (@Mode() = 1))
           {
                 vAnswer = @PromptForUserInput("Confirm the changed ItemCost or enter the correct ItemCost amount:", vItemCost)
                 vFinal = @ToMoney(vAnswer)
                 ItemCost = vFinal
           }

Larry
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: AskUser to verify a value before posting
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 2:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
If you really want to confirm the cost, I would not put in the default value.  After time, people will just accept it and click OK without looking at it.  Have it validated like you would do for a passsword, but not allow a copy/paste.

I would leave the prompt blank, and force them to enter the value and then compare it against the current value.  I know, extra data entry, but this seems important enough to you that you should accept that as the cost of accurate data.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

lksseven

Re: AskUser to verify a value before posting
Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 3:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

The ItemCost prompt only fires if the value that was pulled in from Inventory during the record creation is changed by the user during verbal call-in to the vendor.  If the Cost is unchanged (default value), then no prompt is issued.  so if the prompt fires, the user will know he has altered the value, I just want him/her to double check that the new value is correct.

I agree with you that it's much easier to eyeball gloss over the verification process over time and not really pay attention to it.  Your 'way' makes a lot of sense - I'll try to rework my process....  so instead of eyeballing the changed value to make sure it's correct and then clicking 'ok', they would be forced to key in again the new value, and then programming would verify that it was the same value (like a password verification) as the value now residing in the ItemCost field.

I'm embarrassed to think about how long it took me to get this little existing bit of code in working order.  But the language is getting a little easier every day, so hopefully I'll pickup speed as I go.

Larry
IP Logged