Normal Topic Designate the Sesame Server default printer (Read 825 times)
lksseven

Designate the Sesame Server default printer
Apr 30th, 2009 at 5:27am
Print Post Print Post  
How do I designate (thru programming) that a print be sent to the Server's default printer and not the Client's default printer?  (for when someone (employee or client) is connected from a remote client thru the Internet to my Sesame server on my office network).   

I'd like for the remote client to be able to enter a Sales Order and have it print on one of my printers in the office.

Larry
IP Logged

Ben
Lantica Support

Re: Designate the Sesame Server default printer
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 2:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Are you printing the form, a merge document or a report?

IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 4:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ben,

I'm printing the form, using PrintString.

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 6:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Printing output is normally all down client side so getting it back to the server is a bit complicated. There are a few ways I can think of to do this

1: Share your printer across the internet. This is of course a security risk as you are allowing anyone on the internet to print to your printer if they knew the name. You should be able to run a VPN and do printer sharing over the VPN however which would secure it.

2. Have the client program set a field in the Record that says it needs to be printed. On the server computer have a scheduled task that runs Sesame every say 10 minutes. That copy of Sesame would retrieve all records that need to be printed, print them, unset the to be printed field, and then close itself.

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 7:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray,

thank you for the thoughts.   Option 1 won't work for my situation, as my intent is to allow some segment of my clients to come in over the Net and place their own orders on my internal network (1 of the 2 main motivations for me to make the transition to Sesame from QA), and each of them would have to have the correct printer installed on their local system.

I'm intrigued by the idea of option #2, though.  

Although, now that I think it through, my scheme is to have the remote user come into my network through a VPN SSL device, log in, and get onto a dedicated XP desktop in my office that shows ONLY a Sesame order screen menu.  They then logon, and are presented with an order screen that is populated (and restricted) to their personal data (name, address, phone, etc) and their unique set of Priced items to order.
          So, the 'client' computer is not the one the remote user is sitting in front of, it's the dedicated workstation in my office, so it will be able to print to my network printer with no problems.    It was late last night when I posted my question (I just got up and running the ability to connect through the Net from my house to my office last night late), and I glossed over the fact that both client and server will be physically in my bldg, therefore not a problem.  It would only be an issue when one of my employees was entering orders remotely, using a different SalesOrder form than the end users will be using.
      For my clients that will want their own Sesame client on their computer, I can have the "Print/submit" button just save the record and notify someone in my office to print those remote orders - perhaps incorporating your option #2 suggestion to generate a quick report of records 'needing printing'.

It would be nice to have some kind of ServerPrinter() command, as online ordering is becoming so prevalent, but I'm never surprised at the seemingly bottomless well of frustration that is the 'Microsoft printing world.'

Thanks so much!

Larry
IP Logged