Normal Topic before downloading sesame... (Read 563 times)
sammy

before downloading sesame...
Aug 6th, 2009 at 5:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I wish all of you good work!

I learned about sesame recently and BEFORE even downloading and trying it I would like to know only few things about it.

Actually, I am looking for an easy programming environment (for an amateur) in order to make ONLY ONE program out of the idea which I have for years.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to load a plain text file of numbers delimited by commas and parse it (the file) into kind of a database but solely IN THE MEMORY of the computer - not on disk - where first, second, third etc numbers from the file would become the content of the first, second etc field?

2. Is it possible to make a database of numbers - again SOLELY in the memory of the computer - which would be produced through programming loops (such as for - next in other languages) and input those numbers into that "database", of course following some rules how to fill this or that field

3. Are programs produced with sesame true standalone exes? I mean are they truly compiled

4. How fast is sesame when searching for records in a database in the memory of the computer of say few million of records compared to a database program made in c++? any, even rough comparison?

thanks,

sammy

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: before downloading sesame...
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 6:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
sammy wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 5:56pm:
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I wish all of you good work!

I learned about sesame recently and BEFORE even downloading and trying it I would like to know only few things about it.

Actually, I am looking for an easy programming environment (for an amateur) in order to make ONLY ONE program out of the idea which I have for years.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to load a plain text file of numbers delimited by commas and parse it (the file) into kind of a database but solely IN THE MEMORY of the computer - not on disk - where first, second, third etc numbers from the file would become the content of the first, second etc field?

2. Is it possible to make a database of numbers - again SOLELY in the memory of the computer - which would be produced through programming loops (such as for - next in other languages) and input those numbers into that "database", of course following some rules how to fill this or that field

Sesame runs in RAM - meaning that the database and executable are in RAM. It writes changes out to the disk file. If you make no changes, simply search and view results, nothing is written to the disk file. You would have to alter your OS, to prevent swap from using the disk as well. What OS are you considering?

Quote:
3. Are programs produced with sesame true standalone exes? I mean are they truly compiled

No. They are compiled to a byte code and that byte code is interpreted.

Quote:
4. How fast is sesame when searching for records in a database in the memory of the computer of say few million of records compared to a database program made in c++? any, even rough comparison?

Depends on the C++. Sesame is written in C++, so it will search roughly as quickly as C++ can search the very same data. But, if the C++ is search is on a very simple table of values and no pre-indexing is possible on that data, a low level C/C++ program will be faster. But Sesame does pre-index data, and that might give Sesame an edge under some conditions.

Quote:
thanks,

sammy

You're welcome. Frankly, it sounds like you are looking for a database system designed to be used in an embedded environment. Sesame is primarily a SOHO database for desktop and small server use. It can be used in an embedded intel environment, using one of the embedded versions of Linux, but there are probably more appropriate applications for your requirements.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

sammy

Re: before downloading sesame...
Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 7:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi,

Thanks, I gues that your answer solves it all..

I will try to find some other environment and I wish you all good luck.

sammy

IP Logged