Normal Topic Sesame work in Windows mobile? (Read 1278 times)
lksseven

Sesame work in Windows mobile?
Aug 9th, 2009 at 3:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
with Sesame being quasi operating system independent, is there any reason one couldn't run a Sesame client on a smartphone?   

More a question of curiosity than need at this point - but as I talk to clients about the benefits of using Sesame, it would be an attention-getting bullet point.

Larry
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame work in Windows mobile?
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 2:09am
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame is not operating system independent. It is cross-platform. This means that we can compile it for a variety of platforms with very little difference in the code base. We would need to compile it for Windows Mobile and, last time we looked, there were some significant differences that would need to be dealt with.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 3:54am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the clarification, Erica!   The thought crossed my mind because it just seems like everywhere I look - baseball game, movie theater, restaurant, airport, etc - all I see are people spending half their lives staring at a 3" rectangle.  As bizarre as it seems to me personally, I can see some customers (when it becomes a doable option) choosing to 'catch up' on the end of their todo lists by placing their supplies order on their cell phones while in the carpool.

Larry
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 1:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
A mobile-formatted web page is probably a better choice for that. With the new API (available soon), you can even tie it directly to your Sesame database with the usual web scripting languages like PHP and Perl.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 2:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
sweet!   In the meantime, I'll pursue the one-click solution of having clients download my 'WCsetup.exe' that installs Sesame client on their system and automatically creates a Sesame-WordCom order client icon on their desktop, pointing at my server - per our conversation in very early February ( http://www.lantica.com/Forum3/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1233269570/15#15 ). 

Thanks for the tidbit.

Larry
IP Logged