Normal Topic Field Type dilemma (Read 799 times)
lksseven

Field Type dilemma
Aug 28th, 2009 at 11:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
SOLines - ItemQty field.   I do not want trailing zeros to be visible (1.00 instead of 1  invites mistakes  when loading trucks and invoicing) on the sales order tik.  And sometimes we will break a carton of something, and so I need to be able to enter .5 or .75 into that ItemQty field, so it's set to be a Text field. 

But I do want to be able to run reports that sum the cumulative quantity of an Item Number (or Item Numbers for a particular client).   But the Report Wizard won't give me the option of summing the ItemQty field because it's set as text, not a number.

Any suggestions?

Larry
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Field Type dilemma
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 2:26am
Print Post Print Post  
The field must be a number to do math.

On some reports like packing slips, make them display Integer value if they are a whole number, else display two digits. 

Divide the field by its integer value.
If no remainder it is a whole number so display as Integer. 
If there is a remainder, it is a fraction so use normal display of number with 2 digits.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 3:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob,  thanks for your reply.

I can see where you're pointing, but I can't see how to get there from here.

I may not have been clear about how I'm using the form and then the report.  My packing slip (delivery ticket) is the form itself printed (not a report).  So the display in the Form is the dog (no trailing zeros), and the report is the tail (do math on the ItemQty values), in priorities.

I want to sum quantities when I run reports, so the Form element must be defined as a number.  But, in the Formview, I do not want a decimal and trailing zeros displayed 'unless' the quantity is a fraction  (so that if the quantity is '2', it doesn't display as 2.00, but if the quantity is .75, then it displays as .75).

I was hoping I could convert the text value of the form element to a number value in the report programming, and thus execute math on that data for report purposes.  (Secondarily, I played around with @decimals and @str, positing that I could have the ItemQty field display no zeros if a whole number, but fractions when there are fractions, on element exit ... just rookie thrashing around).  But if I set the field to allow two decimals, it (with me at the helm, anyway) insists on displaying the two trailing zeros even with whole numbers.

Larry
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 3:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
I just had a thought (yippee!)    Could I have the normal ItemQty field be a text field (solving my 'no zeros display' requirement on the delivery ticket), and have a hidden ItemQtyShadow field on the form that would "= the ItemQty field", with this shadow field being a 'number' field.  Thus I would use the shadow field in reports for 'number and math' purposes, but get the display I want in the regular Form view?   Any holes in that (besides maybe being a little clumsy)?

Larry
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 5:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
I added ItemQtyShadow field as a number field, mass updated this field to @TN(ItemQty), and tested it with some reports.  Seems to have solved my problem.

Am I missing something with this 'fix' that's going to trip me up down the road?

Larry
IP Logged