Normal Topic Localizing SBAS files (Read 980 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Localizing SBAS files
Sep 2nd, 2009 at 12:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
I currently have code portioned off into 12 SBAS files.  Each time I update or create a new one I have to distribute them to a dozen client directories.  I'm thinking of localizing them on the server and hard-coding the path to each file in my main code.  How will this change affect compilation time?

Thanks in advance.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ben
Lantica Support

Re: Localizing SBAS files
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 1:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
The clients would experience a small slowdown during the compiling process as they would need to pull the include file through the network.

Have you considered using a batch file on the server to push the include file to all of the client machines whenever necessary? That would save you the trouble of going from machine to machine. It would also allow you to avoid the potential slowdown of grabbing the include file from the server every time a client opens the application.

IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 1:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is an interesting idea, the batch file.  When would such a file be run?

I actually don't go to each machine, now.  I have each user's C:\Sesame drive mapped on my own workstation, and just do file copies across the network.  The only problem is when one of their machines isn't turned on at the time I'm working on it.  I have to keep a note to check back later when they're in and it's turned on.  It's not really too much of a big deal, but I thought if the compilation time was negligible I might localize the files.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ben
Lantica Support

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 2:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
You could run the batch file whenever you needed to update the include files on the client machines.

IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 2:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Ben!  I experimented with a Sesame startup batch file that runs on the user machine, copies the files and then fires up Sesame.  Runs pretty quick, barely noticeable.  Only problem is that the command window stays open.  Microsoft decided a while back to eliminate "close on exit" from its shortcut properties switches, thanks Microsoft, that was stupid.  Rassafrassa....

By the way, a note to whomever edits the programming manual:  you need to include information on page 85 about the #include command that informs the reader he can hard-code paths to the sbas file.  The current example gives no indication this is possible.  Unless it's hidden elsewhere in the book, I dunno.  Page 85 is the only page listed in the Index that mentions #include.

Thanks again!

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 8:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Pretty much anything that takes a file path can resolve absolute, relative or UNC paths.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged