Normal Topic DAT and DB time stamps (Read 1318 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

DAT and DB time stamps
Sep 3rd, 2009 at 6:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've just noticed that the timestamps on my applications DAT and DB files are an hour in the future of the time settings on both my server and my workstation.  Any idea why this might be and what I should do about it?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: DAT and DB time stamps
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 8:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
File timestamps are set by the OS and we really don't have anything to do with them. How long has this been going on? If you create a file any other way, is its timestamp accurate?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 9:24am
Print Post Print Post  
Which OS?  If one of my LAN workstations has a bad setting, would that stamp it?  I always thought it was the server's time, which is currently correct.  As for how long, I don't know, sorry, just noticed it today when cleaning out my Reports folder and noticing some funky report names.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 1:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
If you are running Sesame client/server and are not using drive sharing, then the server's OS is the only one that will set file timestamps on the db/dat files on that server's file system.

Are there any other programs on your server that have access to your Sesame files - like a backup program, etc?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 2:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well this is the damndest thing.  I've double-checked the server time setting (even reset it to a minute ahead and hit apply).  The I went into Sesame, opened a form and hit Alt+F5 in a field.  The correct time appears.  I did not save the change.  But other users have been using the same DB, and right now, at 10:25 AM, the time stamp on MIARA.DB is 11:03 AM.

None of my applications use time-stamping so I'm not terribly worried about it, but it's very puzzling.  I think that, as soon as I can, I'll shut everything down, reboot the server, check the time setting, and start Sesame up again, see if that helps.  Probably not before next week, though (I need to do it at a time when no one else is using the network.)

Thanks for your help, Mark!

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 7:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Also check that your server is not making an update connection to an external time server some time after you check it.  Could be scheduled to update hourly/daily/weekly, etc.

Also be sure that it is not getting its date/time from a router somewhere in your network.  Make sure they have the correct info also.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 12:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
It's because of "Automatically adjust for Daylight Savings Time".  On workstations (and the server) when this is checked, it flips the display of the stamp one hour ahead.  Turn it off and refresh and ta-dah, the time stamp is correct.  Microsoft can bite me.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged