Normal Topic Questions about new button menus (Read 1265 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Questions about new button menus
Sep 18th, 2009 at 3:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've just started working with the new button menus, with 2.5, and have a few questions.  I did a search on some of these but the results are numerous, so if any of these have been discussed before a link to the previous discussion would be helpful.

* Can new buttons be added, or existing ones removed?  If so, where can I find instructions on the procedure?

* Is it possible for the initial "database open" button to open in Add Mode instead of Search?

* Is it possible to reprogram the Search Menu button "Add New Records" so that it opens an Add tab instead of closing search?  All of my users work in both Add and Search simultaneously, so switching is problematical, and the alternative of "opening a new tab" and then switching it to the other mode in that tab, well, I'll hear complaints about that whole process, "too many clicks" or somesuch.

Comment:  I love being able to open multiple search tabs for the same form, that's fantastic.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Questions about new button menus
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 3:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Sep 18th, 2009 at 3:28pm:
I've just started working with the new button menus, with 2.5, and have a few questions.  I did a search on some of these but the results are numerous, so if any of these have been discussed before a link to the previous discussion would be helpful.

* Can new buttons be added, or existing ones removed?  If so, where can I find instructions on the procedure?

The buttons can be hidden using @HideTreeItem for the corresponding tree item. See the documentation for the button menus for a list.

You can't just add your own buttons to ours. You need to make a menu form or other such technique.

Quote:
* Is it possible for the initial "database open" button to open in Add Mode instead of Search?

No, you need to program your own form buttons for that.

Quote:
* Is it possible to reprogram the Search Menu button "Add New Records" so that it opens an Add tab instead of closing search?  All of my users work in both Add and Search simultaneously, so switching is problematical, and the alternative of "opening a new tab" and then switching it to the other mode in that tab, well, I'll hear complaints about that whole process, "too many clicks" or somesuch.

Again, you can't reprogram the built-in menu buttons, but you can place your own buttons on your forms that do whatever you want.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 4:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you.  Of the ideas I mentioned that cannot be done (adding, reprogramming, etc.) are there any possibilities that these capabilities will be available in future versions of Sesame?  Would a feature request be of any use?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 4:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Sep 18th, 2009 at 4:05pm:
Thank you.  Of the ideas I mentioned that cannot be done (adding, reprogramming, etc.) are there any possibilities that these capabilities will be available in future versions of Sesame?  Would a feature request be of any use?

You are always welcome to make feature requests.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 4:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Sep 18th, 2009 at 4:05pm:
Thank you.  Of the ideas I mentioned that cannot be done (adding, reprogramming, etc.) are there any possibilities that these capabilities will be available in future versions of Sesame?  Would a feature request be of any use?

Its not that these things can't be done. They can all be done - just not using the approach you are proposing. You can use custom buttons, define button panels, and even translation tables to get where you want to go. Take a look at the button panel commands in SBasic, and the button panel commands in the sesame.ini file.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 4:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged