Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Template (Read 5617 times)
Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Template
Reply #15 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 1:38am
Print Post Print Post  
SpencerWulwick wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 at 12:48am:
AHA!  "Custom Format"  - so it wasn't magic after all.  That raises another question, however.  No matter how hard I tried I could not figure out any way to see this in the property VIEWER.  Shouldn't that be reflected - in the viewer - since it's crucial to the behavior of the element .... and how else could I tell that I had used that setting?

It is in the Property Viewer. It's that setting I asked you to check a couple of posts ago. Display Format. You must have had a different element than State selected when you looked at it or it would have shown you what we saw in the Property Viewer when we looked at it here.

Quote:
As for the Program/User Guides, I downloaded them from the web-site and do not see a version # or date issued anywhere.

I see the Release number on the first page of the pdf User Guide for 2.0. I see the Documentation version and the copyright date (2007) on the second page. I see the Documentation version and the copyright date (2007) on the second page of the pdf Programming Guide for 2.0.  

We'll get your other questions tomorrow. I'm not in the office with Sesame right now.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #16 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 1:49am
Print Post Print Post  
Erika -

I could swear that I had State selected; however when I do it now I do get a different value, which is:
     LOREM IPSUM DOLOR SIT AMET [1]

Is that supposed to mean something to me?

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #17 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 1:54am
Print Post Print Post  
SpencerWulwick wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 at 1:49am:
Erika -

I could swear that I had State selected; however when I do it now I do get a different value, which is:
     LOREM IPSUM DOLOR SIT AMET [1]

Is that supposed to mean something to me?

Yes. Display Format shows a sample value as formatted by your settings. See how it's all in caps? If you selected lowercase, it would all be lowercase. Etc.

- Hammer
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #18 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 2:05am
Print Post Print Post  
AHA

I noticed that it appeared in different case but did not realize that was a display of the fields.  Also, playing around, I notice that the number in brackets [0, 1, 2, 3] corresponds to the format:

0 As entered
1 UPPER CASE
2 lower case
3 Inital Caps

So, my next question is just what does  LOREM IPSUM DOLOR SIT AMET mean or what purpose does it serve?  And, if you can change the "number" why not just enter what the number stands for, so that it would be meaningful to the user?  Just a thought and suggestion when considering future revisions.

- Spencer

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #19 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 2:12am
Print Post Print Post  
SpencerWulwick wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 at 2:05am:
So, my next question is just what does  LOREM IPSUM DOLOR SIT AMET mean or what purpose does it serve?  And, if you can change the "number" why not just enter what the number stands for, so that it would be meaningful to the user?  Just a thought and suggestion when considering future revisions.

Lorem ipsum is standard sample text. Predates computers, actually. It's text that is commonly used when one doesn't want people distracted by what the sample words mean but still want valid-looking word/letter distribution.
Check out http://www.lipsum.org

The Lorem ipsum is the sample value for text fields. Date fields have a sample date. Number fields have a sample number. Etc.

The stuff in the square braces is the internal format and can be much more complicated than a single number. Date and number formats in particular. So we show the sample data and include the internal format in square braces for our reference in troubleshooting situations.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Ben
Lantica Support

Reply #20 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 1:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
SpencerWulwick wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 at 12:48am:
If ... I use programming instead (ToUpper) will THAT enable it to print as "viewed" i.e. ALL CAPS?

The ToUpper command can be used On Element Change to convert anything that has been entered into the element to uppercase. The programming you will want to use is included in an example below.

My_Text_Element :: On Element Change
  My_Text_Element = ToUpper(My_Text_Element)

More information on the ToUpper() command can be found on page 421 of the 2.0 Programming Guide.

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #21 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 2:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ben -

Thanks, much, for helping.   You made it so easy - I decided to just experiment for myself regarding the printing.

I removed the Custom Format, added the toupper programming to the State field, saved and applied the DSR changes to my DB

I then went to the DB, did a mass update (toupper) on the STATE element, ran my export, printed my merge letter and it printed correctly (i.e. all upper case) so that answers my printing question when  using programming instead of custom format.  For all practical purposes, I'll just forget about using custom format in the future and just "do it myself" through programming.

Erika -

Now that you explained the lorum ipsum "stuff", I recall having asked you about it at the training session I had attended "way back when."  I remember telling you then - and I still view it that way - that whenever I see it, I think it must be LATIN and means nothing to me.  Ironically - instead of using sample text that is meaningful (e.g. As fORMatted, UPPER CASE etc. as I illustrated above) the lorum ipsum DISTRACTED me (exactly the opposite of what it is supposed to do) and NEGATED (instead of helping) my getting any value from the display.  With that in mind - and given that I doubt the average person is familiar with lorum ipsum - I would still encourage you to consider changing the illustration - in future revisions.   Just an opinion; perhaps it would be helpful to hear from others in this regard.

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #22 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 2:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the input, Spencer.

- Hammer
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #23 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 3:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika -

You're welcome ... and thank you, once again, for all your help.

By the way, it turns out that I did NOT have the latest versions of the user/programming guides (I thought I had downloaded it recently but apparently all I had done was moved the old copy on my computer to a more recent folder).

In any event I downloaded the latest version and was able to do a simple search to get me directly to the entry template information I had been looking for.

It was very nice "being in touch" with you again so this exchange was both helpful in regard to my Sesame needs and, on a personal level, just plain makes me feel good.  I really need to spend a little more time here - and will do just that.   Thanks

- Spencer

- Spencer

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #24 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 2:29am
Print Post Print Post  
SpencerWulwick wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 at 2:45pm:
...whenever I see it, I think it must be LATIN and means nothing to me.  Ironically - instead of using sample text that is meaningful (e.g. As fORMatted, UPPER CASE etc. as I illustrated above) the lorum ipsum DISTRACTED me (exactly the opposite of what it is supposed to do) and NEGATED (instead of helping) my getting any value from the display.  With that in mind - and given that I doubt the average person is familiar with lorum ipsum - I would still encourage you to consider changing the illustration - in future revisions.   Just an opinion; perhaps it would be helpful to hear from others in this regard.

I have to admit that I found myself thinking the same thing the first time I saw "Lorum ipsum...", until I did an Internet search to find out what it really was. So, I agree that it was more of a distraction for the first few weeks, before I researched it.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print