Normal Topic Client/Server Compatibility Between Versions (Read 519 times)
Carl Underwood
Members

Client/Server Compatibility Between Versions
Nov 13th, 2009 at 6:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
I always make sure I'm running the same version of Sesame on all my machines, but I've found that clients (as in customers) sometimes forget to update the user's machines; they update the server machine, and think they are done.

I've noticed that all versions of Sesame 2.x prior to 2.5 can successfully be mixed and matched, with regard to Client and Server instances. For example, a 2.1 client can connect to a 2.0.2 server, and vise-versa. Does this imply that it is safe to do so?

I know that a 2.1 client fails to connect to a 2.5 server, and vise-versa. Probably for good reason. So, I was wondering if the fact that I can mix and match the previous versions is because it is safe to do that, or if it was something that slipped by in the code.

BTW, the word "mismatch" is misspelled as "missmatch" in the "Failed to connect to the server..." message box. Wink

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Client/Server Compatibility Between Versions
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 6:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
All 2.0.X and 2.1.X versions had the same basic communication model for both the Client and the Server. Which is why they can all connect to each other.

Is it safe to mismatch versions? I'm not sure if I'd say it was safe, I have not seen it cause any damage but I still don't recommend it.

Version 2.5 has a different communications model so older clients can not connect  to a newer sever and are dis-allowed from doing so. 

Quote:
BTW, the word "mismatch" is misspelled as "missmatch" in the "Failed to connect to the server..." message box.

Thanks, I'll get that written up and passed on to development.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Re: Client/Server Compatibility Between Versions
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 10:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks, Ray!