Normal Topic Handling Historical Database (Read 482 times)
Acebanner

Handling Historical Database
Jul 12th, 2010 at 5:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
About two years ago my company was still using Q&A 4.0 for DOS. I switched over to Sesame and it's been nice smooth sailing. However, I hate to see what could be decent information go to waste, so I translated the older databases. The old routine with Q&A was to create a new database for the previous year and then copy the records from that year into the new database, and so keep only the most relevant records. This went on for fifteen years, with fields being added, deleted, etc.

Anyway, after much data wrangling I got all the records into one great big Sesame database.

I'm not entirely sure how to handle it. The database is relatively big, but the information is not all that critical. If I merge this application into my main (active) application I will add a lot of bloat to what is a nice, tight little application. I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. I have two things I want to do and I was hoping to get some guidance or advice.

1. I want to make all the records in the historical database 'read-only' but I still want the LEs to be able to be entered and copy/pasted. So I can't just make all the fields ReadOnly. Is there some way to prevent modifications to the information? I've tried using the @Modified command but I could no longer forward through the records.

2. Switching from the main application to the historical application and back again. What's the best way to accomplish this? I'm looking at the 'DeferredOpenApplication' command, but there's not a lot said about it in the manual. I figure I use this command to open the new application and then close the active one, and make a similar command button in the historical database to get the user back to the main application.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Handling Historical Database
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 2:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Check out the AppSaveMode command in SBasic.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Acebanner

Re: Handling Historical Database
Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 4:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Jul 13th, 2010 at 2:38pm:
Check out the AppSaveMode command in SBasic.

That worked, thanks!

IP Logged