Normal Topic tabbing causes '^I' entry (Read 910 times)
lksseven

tabbing causes '^I' entry
Jul 28th, 2010 at 3:32am
Print Post Print Post  
Using version 2.5, 6 clients, client/server, XP workstations ... all clients working fine until last week (now one has a problem) ...

While I was out of town on vacation (of course), one of the Sesame workstations in the office got a glitch.  Whenever Sesame is pulled up on this workstation client, pressing the tab key results in a ^I character sequence being inserted into the field.  If the enter key is pressed (instead of the tab key) then the result isn't an advance out of that field, but a ^M character sequence is inserted into the field.

It only seems to happen with this one workstation.  I've switched the keyboard - no difference.  I hooked up a laptop to this workstation network cable, and the problem didn't occur, so I've eliminated the network cable and network router port as the culprit.  Tomorrow I'll move the computer physically to another network cable, and see if the error continues (if it does, that would suggest a network card issue, wouldn't it?).

Any suggestions on what could be causing this glitch?  The operator says she thinks she remembers that there had been a power dip in the office that day that Sesame started acting up, as it glitched up her email retrieval, too.  Rebooting solved that email problem, although I think there is a continuing issue with a batch.bat file that logs her computer onto various mapped network drives.  The batch file runs through some of the command lines, but not all of them.).   Should I replace the executable sesame file with an .exe copy, and see if that fixes it (and save my lower back and knees from moving the workstation unnecessarily)?
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:17pm by lksseven »  

Larry
IP Logged

lksseven

Re: tabbing causes '^I' entry
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 6:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
On this workstation, the Sesame client will work fine if the computer is booted up in Safe Mode with Networking.   So there must be some glitch in some of the normal Windows files that boot up under normal bootup.   

Does anyone have any tips for what it could be?

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Does a program such as notepad behave the same way?

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 2:25am
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

As far as I can tell, all other apps seem to operate normally.  I'll make sure to test notepad Thursday, though.

I copied the sesame app to the workstation, and opened Sesame as a standalone app on that workstation, and still got the anomaly ^I when I tabbed.  Which would seem to rule out a network adapter problem - but I'm going to install a separate network adapter Thursday.

I will also mention that Windows is having a hard time shutting down properly on this workstation.  So I probably shouldn't even be yakking about it here, as by the end of today I am pretty well convinced that it's a computer issue, not a Sesame issue.   Although I would like to understand why Sesame is seemingly the only app affected by it.

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 1:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi lksseven,

I am almost 100% certain you can rule out the network adapter. I'm not sure why Sesame is the only program being affected by this problem in this way, but it's sounding like other programs are also being affected in different ways unique to them(The batch file, windows shutdown).

If other programs were behaving the same I'd look at locale settings and keyboard input settings under windows control panel, which you may still want to do, but with the other problems you're experiencing it might be time for a windows re-install.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 5:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

I agree that the culprit is some bruising of the Windows code somewhere.  Problems shutting down, and the computer won't let me 'install' a network adapter driver (installation just hangs up forever).  ugh.  Thanks for the input, though.

Larry
IP Logged