Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Segmentation Fault under Linux (Read 1475 times)
carsten

Carpe Diem

Segmentation Fault under Linux
Nov 12th, 2010 at 1:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi out there,
I am trying to run my database on a Linux (Ubuntu10.10) machine. It loads fine but when I call certain views it crashes with "segmentation fault" and no further information. The database has been running with no trouble on WinXP for more than a year now.
Is there any way on getting a bit more of debugging info out of sesame?
Or any idea on how to tackle the problem?
Cheers
Carsten

Carsten&&The Houseman&&"Smiling improves your face value"&&"A Clean House is a Sign of a Wasted Life"&&"Rather Big and Hard then Micro and Soft"

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Segmentation Fault under Linux
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 1:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
You mentioned "calling certain views". What are these? Does it go down every time or is it sporadic? Are you running client/server or standalone?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

carsten

Carpe Diem

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 8:06am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Mark,

I have a number of forms in my database and when I call certain of them the program crashes (views was misleading, sorry). It is always the same forms and it is reproduce able. The problem occurs regardless whether I run standalone or in client/server mode.

regards
Carsten

Carsten&&The Houseman&&"Smiling improves your face value"&&"A Clean House is a Sign of a Wasted Life"&&"Rather Big and Hard then Micro and Soft"

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 1:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Linux tends to be less forgiving than Windows. If you wish, you could send the app in to support and they'll run it on Linux and see if we can reproduce (and possibly repair) the problem here. When running client/server, on which side did the problem occur?

IP Logged

carsten

Carpe Diem

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 5:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
The problem always occurs on the client side.
Whom would I send the application to?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 6:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
carsten wrote on Nov 16th, 2010 at 5:30pm:
The problem always occurs on the client side.
Whom would I send the application to?

Send to it to support@lantica.com with an email describing the steps. If it is very large, contact them at that email address and they will send instructions for sending it our way.

IP Logged

carsten

Carpe Diem

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 8:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Send to it to support@lantica.com with an email describing the steps. If it is very large, contact them at that email address and they will send instructions for sending it our way.

Will do. It currently is about 10MB but I will strip it of the data and see, whether that is sufficient to reproduce the error.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 3:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
As per our email conversation, I found and fixed the problem. It has to do with monetary formatting wherein the money symbol appears after the number, on Linux only. The fix will be in the next release.

IP Logged

carsten

Carpe Diem

Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 4:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Cheers Mark,

any idea when this is due? Is there a hot-fix I can do in the meanwhile?

Tanks
Carsten

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 4:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
We are hoping to get this version into test soon (days, not months).

You can temporarily set the output format for money fields so as to not use a currency symbol or to place the currency symbol before the number. If a currency symbol must appear, you can remove it from the output formatting, and place it to the right of the element as a bit of static text. Or, you can temporarily use Linux for your server and Windows for clients. This is a client side Linux only bug.

If you opt to set the money fields, be sure you change them all.

IP Logged

carsten

Carpe Diem

Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 6:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ok, thanks, I will have a think what is the most acceptable and economic hack for now.

Thanks again for your support. It just confirms yet again that I have made the right choice opting for Sesame!

C.

IP Logged

carsten

Carpe Diem

Reply #11 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 1:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
The Cow wrote on Nov 22nd, 2010 at 4:46pm:
We are hoping to get this version into test soon (days, not months).

You can temporarily set the output format for money fields so as to not use a currency symbol or to place the currency symbol before the number. If a currency symbol must appear, you can remove it from the output formatting, and place it to the right of the element as a bit of static text. Or, you can temporarily use Linux for your server and Windows for clients. This is a client side Linux only bug.

If you opt to set the money fields, be sure you change them all.

Are there any changes here?

regards
Carsten

IP Logged