Normal Topic Retrieve Spec "Problem" (Read 489 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Retrieve Spec "Problem"
Nov 13th, 2010 at 7:30am
Print Post Print Post  
Goodness.  It has been so long since I've been here, I almost couldn't find the place and when I did I wasn't sure how to add a new topic.  lol  So let me get to the point.   I have a database with a system generated numeric field that I use as a record ID.

In order to find the record by record ID, I must do a manual search; i.e. I must enter the number in the ID field.  I am not able to find it if I enter the number in either the "simple" search or "universal" search fields.  

Is that intentional?  If so, would love to know the reason.  If not, could it be "fixed?"

Thanks much.  I still marvel about everything I can do with the design of this database and I'm sure that, even after all these years, I haven't even scratched the surface.

BTW, while I'm on the subject of retrieve specs, it would be a TREMENDOUS help if I could use the "paste" feature in the universal search field.  Please remind me where to go to submit that as a suggestion.

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Retrieve Spec "Problem"
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 4:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
SpencerWulwick wrote on Nov 13th, 2010 at 7:30am:
Goodness.  It has been so long since I've been here, I almost couldn't find the place and when I did I wasn't sure how to add a new topic.  lol  So let me get to the point.   I have a database with a system generated numeric field that I use as a record ID.

In order to find the record by record ID, I must do a manual search; i.e. I must enter the number in the ID field.  I am not able to find it if I enter the number in either the "simple" search or "universal" search fields.  

Is that intentional?  If so, would love to know the reason.  If not, could it be "fixed?"

It is intentional, but might be changed in a future release. Currently, universal searching only operates on the "text oriented" field types: text, keyword, and image. Storing your record ID in a text field, rather than a numeric field, may be what you need.

Quote:
Thanks much.  I still marvel about everything I can do with the design of this database and I'm sure that, even after all these years, I haven't even scratched the surface.

BTW, while I'm on the subject of retrieve specs, it would be a TREMENDOUS help if I could use the "paste" feature in the universal search field.  Please remind me where to go to submit that as a suggestion.

Thanks!

CTRL-V works for pasting for me in the universal search field, as does the middle mouse button (on Linux).

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Re: Retrieve Spec "Problem"
Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 3:27am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Mark -

Sorry I didn't respond sooner.  I wasn't notified that there was a reply and I just got around to looking for it.  (P.S. I just discovered that the reason I wasn't notified is that I had an email address to an inactive account.  I have now updated my profile with my current email address.  mea culpa).

I do hope that you will consider universal searches on numeric fields in future updates.  I have far too many such fields in my database to change them to text - and, in some cases, that would not suit my needs.

Thanks for the Ctrl/V - you are right - that does the trick for pasting in the universal search field.  (Would it be that dificult to add the "paste" feature itself - it would be more convenient).  In any event the Ctrl/V is a tremendous help for me.

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged