Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sharing files via Sesame (Read 2932 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Sharing files via Sesame
Jan 6th, 2011 at 3:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is it possible for a remote user to run a file on the server? Or must the files be loaded and viewed only within a sesame GUI?

I want to allow a remote user to load text, html, and image files from a remote location, but it seems that asynchshell, shell, and fileopen commands all point to the users local drive, and not the server.

Example: Sesame image LE displays images fine within sesame, but I want to allow the user the option to open an image 'full screen' in their default image viewer.

Any tips?

Steve

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Re: Sharing files via Sesame
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2011 at 10:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
I think you would need to point the local client to a shared drive on the server. In other words, you would share a folder on the server, map that share on the remote computer as drive S: (or another letter of your choice), point AsyncShell to drive S:.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2011 at 11:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Carl! I didn't know you could 'map' a drive across the internet without using some sort of VPN service (a user is working from home and connecting via the internet.)

I'll try it out soon.

Sincerely,
Steve

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 2:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Oh, I didn't realize you meant the remote user was across the Internet. I thought you meant a client on the same network.

Normally, you cannot map a drive on another network. But, there is a product call Hamachi that can let you network computers over the Internet. https://secure.logmein.com/US/products/hamachi2/

(I haven't personally used the Hamachi product, but I do use the LogMeIn product extensively, and that works great.)

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 8:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Carl. I'll check it out.

Steve

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2011 at 11:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Perhaps the remote user can send a command to the server to run a batch file to 'ftp' the specified file to a webdav or cloud storage. Then the remote user can download the file.

Surely there is an easier way?

Steve

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 2:43am
Print Post Print Post  
I have databases where I have URLs in text fields, and buttons next to them which will open the URL in a browser. If you put your files on a web server, you could have links in the database that would open those files in the user's browser. If the files must not be seen by the public, you could put them in a "protected directory" on the server. This way, the user would need to have a username and password to access it.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 1:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
You may be able to do something using server side mass update programming. It may also be possible to use SSH or similar commands, especially if your remote server is running some version of Unix as opposed to Windows. In general, Sesame prevents commands running on the server from having any kind of write access, because these can present security problems.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 3:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark, thanks for explaining. Knowing that sesame is designed to prevent this, I won't waste my time trying to circumvent.

Thanks again.

Steve

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 3:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
I wasn't trying to imply that this was a waste of time or that you shouldn't attempt it - so much as I wanted you to understand the circumstances and difficulties. There are sesame.ini settings to allow you to run the full set of SBasic commands on the engine in a mass update. If you own the server, and you are confident that your users are not a threat to that server's well being, you might be able to use server-side mass update to cause the server to transfer the needed files. Additionally, you may be able to use the client side FTP commands to transfer the file. Again, always easier if you have a Unix based server, rather than Windows.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 3:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sounds interesting, Mark. I'll read up on the sesame.ini settings and server side mass updates. I assume it's documented in the latest programming manual?

Thanks again,

Steve

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #11 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 4:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Steve,

They are documented in the errata which can be found at

http://www.lantica.com/Files/errata.pdf

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #12 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 4:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Are the files you want people to be able to load locally on your server? If so, look into (as Carl said) exposing them to the Internet (in a protected directory, if needed) so you can just link to them. If you don't want to do it that way, look into allowing FTP on your server and using the FTP commands to allow a client to ftp the desired file to their own box where they can open it.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #13 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 4:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the link, Ray. I'll read up.

Erika, we really like Sesame and my goal is to keep all of our users 'in' sesame as much as possible. My immediate need is for a user to be able to open an image in it's entirety, instead of only viewing it in a small image LE on their screen. I'm sure we'll have a similar need for retrieving other files and documents down the road.

I programmed a button to have the image emailed to the user, but the sendmail() command seemed to only work while the user was on our local network (when working from home, a user would need to enter their SMTP server name and password?), plus waiting for an email to arrive was not exactly what I wanted, but could suffice.

I do not feel comfortable enough with my knowledge of security to 'share' a folder on the internet, but I will read up on it. It may be the best solution in the long run.

Thanks for all the advise. You always do a great job of keeping me out of the weeds. Smiley

Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #14 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 5:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm glad you want people to stay in Sesame. If you don't want to open your server to the internet, you can use the File I/O commands to write an ftp script to get the file you want. You can them run it using @Shell and ftp -n to copy the file from your server to the local drive where it can then be opened.

You may also be able to simply put a copy of the images on an internet site where they can be accessed by remote clients, but you do not have to expose other things.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print