Normal Topic Subform Format (Read 491 times)
bobvandy

Subform Format
Jan 29th, 2011 at 9:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am a newcomer to Sesame and have a question regarding the layout and display of a subform.

I have set up two simple databases and have connected them using the Relational linking method. I can get the subform to work, but ALL of the fields from my second database appear in the subform. Can I "pick and choose" which fields are displayed in the subform? And how do I go about formatting (color, font, etc.) the subform?

I have just ordered my full version and have not received the manuals or software yet so I am still using the trial version if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this!

Bob

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Re: Subform Format
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 2:05am
Print Post Print Post  
Welcome Bob,

You have two options to control which fields (or Layout Elements, technically) show in a subform:
1. Create another form for the 2nd database (binding the Layout Elements to the existing fields), and only put the fields that you want to show in the subform on this new form. Or, this may be easier, make a copy of the form you already have, and remove the LEs (Layout Elements) that you don't want to appear in the subform.

Then, you will need to remove the subform element that you already put on the 1st (main/parent) database form, so that you can create a new one that displays the new form you just created in the 2nd (child) database.

2. You also can control the visibility of individual LEs by using the Visibility() command in the child form. You would use the @FormIsStandalone() and Visibility() commands in the "On Form Reveal" or "On Draw" events so that you are only hiding the LEs when the form appears as a subform.

Option 1 is probably the best solution because you can customize the LEs on the child form to influence how they will appear in the subform. This is also the answer to your 2nd question because changing colors, fonts, and LE widths on the child form affects how the subform will look.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

bobvandy

Re: Subform Format
Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 10:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you very much Carl.

I used your option 1 and things all appeared as you said. I just need to practice some of the formatting and sorting details to pretty it up.

I'm not an advanced database guru by any means. I used Lotus Approach for years at work to manage my data and that worked fine, and in looking for a replacement I came upon Sesame. So far it seems it will let me do the simple basics and as I get more daring I will try some of the programming as you mention in option 2.

Thanks again for your response!
Bob Vandermark

IP Logged