Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) logo picture file quality (Read 1989 times)
LP

logo picture file quality
Feb 12th, 2011 at 9:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm attempting to place a logo on one of my forms and am having problems with quality of the logo. I've had a logo in the past with Q&A for windows without any issue, but on the Sesame form it is unacceptable. Does anyone have suggestions? I've tried bmp, jpg, png, (PDF not accepted) not sure what files are supported without running the full gauntlet of possibilities.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Re: logo picture file quality
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 1:17am
Print Post Print Post  
Make sure that you are NOT letting Sesame scale the image. Use a graphics program to scale the image to the size you want, and have the static image box in Sesame set to the same dimensions (in pixels).

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

LP

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 1:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Carl for the info. If I'm limited to the pixel size as defined by Sesame I guess I'm out of luck, it is way to coarse to be presentable. My letter size form translated from Q&A is something like 596x754 pixels.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 5:12am
Print Post Print Post  
Maybe I misunderstood. Are you talking about a logo image on the screen, or are you talking about a logo image on a printout?

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

LP

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 11:50am
Print Post Print Post  
Both. Logo is on the form for an invoice that I print out. Main concern for appearance is in printout.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 6:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
You know... I take back what I said about not allowing Sesame to scale the image. I must be remembering that being an issue from a long time ago.

I just tested it with a 2392 x 2969 jpg, and a 483 x 600 jpg. I scaled them both up and down, and Sesame did an excellent job.

What version are you using?

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

LP

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 7:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame personal - Version 2.5.2
I've scaled the jpg file down in corel photo paint X4 to the size I wish to have it on the form (0.4"x1.0") and it prints fine. I'm losing quality in Sesame.
Thanks for your effort....old dog trying to learn new tricks here!

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 7:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Now that you've scaled it down with an external program, does it print better in Sesame? If not, you probably will need to adjust the size of the form you are printing, so that it has the same aspect ratio of the paper.

Better yet, create an alternate form that is used just for printing, or look into the PrintString family of commands. If you do use PrintString, use high values in the NewPage command to achieve good quality graphic printouts.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

LP

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 9:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
My form has the same aspect ratio to paper, letter size. It doesn’t matter where or how I scale the file, on my letter size form in Sesame the static picture box is approximately 0.45x1.25” and is 37x105 pixels on that form. The resulting picture is 37x105 pixels which is to coarse.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 3:20am
Print Post Print Post  
What size is your form?

If the form is too small, you will end up with a coarse printout. I just tested a very small form (330 x 430) with a photo (35 x 42). The printout was horrible because Sesame takes those small items, and blows them up to fill the paper size. It does not add pixels, it can only make those pixels larger, giving you a very coarse looking result.

Then, I scaled the form and the photo up by a factor of 10, making the form 3300 x 4300, and the photo 350 x 42. (This is excessive, but it was to demonstrate the effect more clearly.) This time the printout was excellent. So, you can improve the quality of the printout by scaling the entire form and its contents up in size.

If scaling the form up makes it too large to work with on the screen (requiring you to scroll to see the whole form), then this is a perfect opportunity to make use of an alternate form that is there solely for printing. I have applications where I've done this because I needed a white background for printing, and a full-color background for working in; and I need to spread out the data from some tab pages. You can have a button on the primary form that will switch to the alternate form to print, then return back to the primary form automatically. (Actually, I've been meaning to write this up for the Inside Sesame newsletter.)

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

LP

Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 2:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Form is letter size 8.5x11” 596x754 pixels and is the same form size that was translated from Q&A. This is a same size form, I’m assuming scaling it up would require increased font size which is currently 12. If this is the solution, or creating a special form to print, I’m backing off placing the logo on the form. I tend to support the KISS principal. In Q&A for windows placing a logo for the first time took less than 15 minutes with acceptable quality. I have other Q&A for windows databases that each record contains a picture. Don’t think I’ll be removing  Q&A from my windows 7 machine anytime soon.
Thank you for all your efforts. 

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 3:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
LP,

It's nice to see one of the other 9 QAWIN users (lol) There were not many of us. I too loved QAWIN and used it with third party utilities to accomplish some amazing tasks, however I can assure you Sesame blows QAWIN away in every possible way. Once I got used to the change (I hate change) I found Sesame to be as simple as QAWIN on most things I needed and with just a very little effort I was able to do things I could never even imagine possible with QAWIN.  I am not sure about your struggles with the logo but there must be something we are missing, because I have a bunch of output with logos. I often scan a paper form and then use it in a static image element as my background and place elements on top to be filled in so my users feel like they are working with the same forms they always have.

Have you tried a different image just to see if it is something may be funky with that particular image.

Keep us posted. Smiley

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #12 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 3:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
LP wrote on Feb 15th, 2011 at 2:24pm:
Form is letter size 8.5x11” 596x754 pixels...

Well, when you do the math, you are printing at around 70 DPI. That's pretty low, and accounts for the coarse appearance you are seeing. Printers are typically capable of 300-600 DPI, and that's the range you want to be in to get good quality printouts.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

LP

Reply #13 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 6:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
I’m not questioning that overall Sesame is leaps and bounds ahead of Q&A, I can appreciate Sesame’s capabilities from the programming I’ve been able to accomplish on my old translated Q&A forms.  The problem I’m having is only with the addressable pixels on the Sesame form with regards to the static picture. I did not set the form size in pixels….the translation from Q&A did. Is there a way to change the density of the pixel count? Minus the logo static picture, printing out the form results in excellent quality. The printed form has defined rounded boxes, which verifies it is printing out well beyond the 70dpi. I have tried several images that printout fine in other applications at the same size but not in Sesame. Does anyone have a sample form with a logo that I could see what I’m doing wrong? Am I wrong in stating if I scale the form up I will have to increase font size? I’m still scratching my head and will have to stop soon before I lose what valuable hair I have left.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #14 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 2:08am
Print Post Print Post  
I'm curious to see it. Would you be willing to send me a copy of your design files (with all the data records removed, of course) and the image file you are using, so I can see if I can improve this for you? If so, you can send them to the email address listed below.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged