Normal Topic Cancelling out of the login issues and a Kiosk que (Read 1022 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Cancelling out of the login issues and a Kiosk que
Feb 18th, 2011 at 7:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
What is the correct method to use to lock the menu selections and other functions when using security login on a Sesame  application running over the web?

I have logic such as AddToTranslationTable() and RemoveMenubarItem() etc in my application property manager programming that works fine when a user logs in over the web without security. But once I implement security that logic does not run until after authentification of the user so if a person hits the cancel button it does not put them in the app but drops them at the sesame window and they have  access to a bunch of things.

What is the proper method to protect access? Should I have some form of ini file on the server machine that can control these features or ???

Can the cancel button on the security menu be changed to run ExitSesame() command instead?

Also,
I have read all the warnings on the evils of Kiosk mode, and understand that it is something that the Lanticans believe we should take great thought and consideration before employing it, however it seems to be a perfect fit for remote users accessing a Sesame application over the web. I have played with it a lot and as long as I have a menu selection button that runs the ExitSesame() command so the user can exit easily it seems to function splendidly. When a user logs in remotely a kiosk environment seems like a perfect approach, I am trying to understand what are the pitfalls of using it in this manner? I would appreciate all thoughts.

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Cancelling out of the login issues and a Kiosk
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 9:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Add the following line to your ini file and see if you like the results.

APPLICATION MODE: LOCKED

APPLICATION MODE: When set to LOCKED, causes Sesame to start up without a menubar, button bar, or
tab labels. It also closes the Command Area. If you use this, you must set a startup form, or you will
have no choice but to exit without doing anything. Application mode locking is disabled if no application
has been specified to open on startup. Valid settings are LOCKED and UNLOCKED.
Example: APPLICATION MODE: LOCKED
Default: UNLOCKED

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 9:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Feb 18th, 2011 at 9:13pm:
Add the following line to your ini file and see if you like the results.

APPLICATION MODE: LOCKED

APPLICATION MODE: When set to LOCKED, causes Sesame to start up without a menubar, button bar, or
tab labels. It also closes the Command Area. If you use this, you must set a startup form, or you will
have no choice but to exit without doing anything. Application mode locking is disabled if no application
has been specified to open on startup. Valid settings are LOCKED and UNLOCKED.
Example: APPLICATION MODE: LOCKED
Default: UNLOCKED

That is the ticket! As always you are the best! (Beauty and Brains)

Yesterday I generated a complete ini output from SDesigner save global settings and looked at that option but I could not find an explanation of what it was. There were a few others like visual log that I also was trying to understand. I have not been very successful at finding the explanation in the documentation I have. I know it is probably in front of my eyes but I cannot find a listing.

Is there an option for controlling where the login box displays on the screen and a method to center the splash image?

If I have the user connecting to the Sesame application via using an IP address and I want to have the ini file stored on that server rather than on the users machine what do I point the ini location in the shortcut to? Since it is an ip address instead of a mapped drive I am a bit confused.

Thanks again for your help.  Smiley

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 10:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
BOBSCOTT wrote on Feb 18th, 2011 at 9:37pm:
Yesterday I generated a complete ini output from SDesigner save global settings and looked at that option but I could not find an explanation of what it was. There were a few others like visual log that I also was trying to understand. I have not been very successful at finding the explanation in the documentation I have. I know it is probably in front of my eyes but I cannot find a listing.

The newer stuff is documented in the Errata and Additions document. The latest version of that is always available on the Change Log.

Quote:
Is there an option for controlling where the login box displays on the screen and a method to center the splash image?

For the login box: No. Your OS controls that. For the splash image, again, no, but since you must set a startup form, the splash image shouldn't appear for long. If it's bugging you, you can substitute your own splash image that is sized differently and/or includes a color-matched area on the left side to push the non-grey part of the image to where you want it.

Quote:
If I have the user connecting to the Sesame application via using an IP address and I want to have the ini file stored on that server rather than on the users machine what do I point the ini location in the shortcut to? Since it is an ip address instead of a mapped drive I am a bit confused.

Hmmm...you'd need to use a UNC path. If the ini file is truly out on the internet and not accessible by a UNC path, then you would need to install the ini file on the user's machine and maybe run a bit of code On Application Open to close Sesame if that ini file is not present. Something along those lines.

Quote:
Thanks again for your help.  Smiley

Our pleasure, Robert. It's great to have you back.  Smiley

- Hammer
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 11:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Feb 18th, 2011 at 10:47pm:
Hmmm...you'd need to use a UNC path. If the ini file is truly out on the internet and not accessible by a UNC path, then you would need to install the ini file on the user's machine and maybe run a bit of code On Application Open to close Sesame if that ini file is not present. Something along those lines.

If I leave the ini on the users machine is there a method to encrypt it so no-one starts changing on to off and stuff like that?

Our pleasure, Robert. It's great to have you back.  Smiley

It is truly nice to be back!. It is mind blowing to see how easy Sesame was to pick back up. You gals and guys did an incredible job creatng this product and NO COMPANY I have ever worked with has the support like you all have.  

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 1:38am
Print Post Print Post  
[quote author=BOBSCOTT link=1298057125/0#2 date=1298065068]...maybe run a bit of code On Application Open to close Sesame if that ini file is not present. Something along those lines.

To ensure that the INI file contains the vital "APPLICATION MODE: LOCKED", you can use something like this in the On Application Open event.
Code
Select All
// Verify INI file setting
If @Instr(@Insert("Sesame.ini"), @NL() + "APPLICATION MODE: LOCKED") = 0
{
	@MsgBox("You do not have a valid INI file.", "", "Sesame will now close.")
	ExitSesame()
} 

Note the "@NL()". This is there to make sure that someone has not commented this line out with the hash mark/pound sign (#). Just be sure that you don't put the required entry on the first line of the INI file if you use @NL().

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 3:32am
Print Post Print Post  
Carl,

I love the idea. I am going to play with that concept tonight.

Thanks so much.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 5:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
BOBSCOTT wrote on Feb 18th, 2011 at 11:16pm:
If I leave the ini on the users machine is there a method to encrypt it so no-one starts changing on to off and stuff like that?

In addition to what Carl said, you an also make the file read-only, depending on how much control you have.

- Hammer
IP Logged