Normal Topic Q&A Windows translation of picture field? (Read 2269 times)
LP

Q&A Windows translation of picture field?
Feb 22nd, 2011 at 2:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've translated a Q&A Windows database that contained a picture field for each record. Everything is fine except the picture elements don't contain any pictures. Am I missing something or is this a lost cause?

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Q&A Windows translation of picture field?
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 3:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is Sesame there is no such thing as lost causes!  Smiley

Until a real expert pipes in maybe  check that you have the image path set correctly?

Are you familar with where to set it?

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 3:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
The image data is in the Q&A Windows database in a way that we can't translate automatically. It's been awhile, but I seem to remember hearing about a utility that could dump the images out if you run it through Q&A for DOS...maybe? I'm checking with some other people to see if I just dreamed this. At any rate, even if you can get the images out and into image files, you'll still have to hook each image back up to the record it goes with. 

Do you have these images separately, or do they only exist in the QAWin database?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 4:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Nope, I dreamed it. The consensus is that I'm thinking of that External Image Viewer thing in QA5 DOS that only sort of worked.

I also talked to John Dow, who is the go-to guy for the internals of Q&A for Windows, but he doesn't have any utilities for this. The internal image format is...non-standard.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

LP

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 5:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Hammer for your quick and thorough response. Not a biggie, I just needed to know so that I could move forward.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 10:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
If you can access the images in QA Windows, this might be a "half-fast" solution if nothing else works--it's a great way to save "unsave-able" images such as Bing bird-eye view:

Display the image in windows, then use PrtScrn.  That copies the image to the clipboard.  From there it can be pasted into an image editor such as Paint Shop Pro or The GIMP.  Generally you can increase the resolution without totally trashing the image.  (Of course, it's not a realistic solution if you are dealing with thousands of images, unless you hire a temp, perhaps.)

IP Logged