Normal Topic Feature request - Hyperlink data type (Read 1253 times)
Rick_R

Feature request - Hyperlink data type
Feb 25th, 2011 at 12:39am
Print Post Print Post  
I'm working with an Access 2007 table that I have exported to Excel 2007 format which I had to actually open with OpenOffice Calc because neither Access 2007 nor Excel 2007 creates a proper csv file.

They both have something useful and from looking at Open Office's csv file it looks like it would be pretty easy to add to Sesame (for a Ver. 3, since adding a data type isn't exactly minor, of course): A hyperlink data type.

The csv shows the field format as: "Census: MT = Montana#http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/30000.html"

If you look at the data in table format you see underlined: Census: MT = Montana
But if you click on the link it goes to the http ... address.

In my Sesame applications right now I have a text field for entry of the URL and then a GO command button that calls @ASynchShell to go to the URL. But it requires a field label explaining the URL target.  (In my case that's not a big deal.  There is NACo, Census Info and Wikipedia and all the URLs are related to the specific county.) I realize it can be done using two fields, with only the Description displayed (see below), but it shouldn't be difficult to join Description + URL.

It probably would not be hard to have a text field where if the user clicks on it when it is blank a window will pop up with two text fields, one for "Description" and the other for the URL, they will be combined for saving and then only the description would display and the user could use F6 to edit the entry or to edit some other key would display the two-field popup.

I have put in the Programming Examples section a set of functions for accessing data stored in that format.

On a related issue, they are figuring on transitioning to IPv6 by the end of 2012 and from my understanding the new DNS system will accept non-Latin URLS such as Arabic and Cyrillic.  Although I don't personally need it, any suggestions on how to store those? (And I guess the first question in that area is how many Sesame users think there will be a need for that in their applications?)
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2011 at 6:31am by Rick_R »  

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Feature request - Hyperlink data type
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 6:16am
Print Post Print Post  
See a set of functions I put in the Programming Examples section.

IP Logged