Normal Topic Changing a report's saved retrieve spec (Read 747 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Changing a report's saved retrieve spec
Feb 28th, 2011 at 8:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have a field called "Coding" on my Invoice form.  Back when the world was young any of the following list of codes could be entered there:

Code
Select All
RT;RTS;RTSH;RTSHC;RTSC;RTH;RTHC;RTC;RS;RSH;RSHC;RSC;RH;RHC;RC;TS;TSH;TSHC;TH;THC;TC;SH;SHC;SC;HC 

(Individual letters R, T, S, H and C could also be entered there, but the reports I need look for multi-coded invoices)

Time marches on, and the codes needed have changed.  "H" is gone, and "O" has entered the mix.  The order in which these codes appear in the field follows strict rules which my users know.  Because this is so, my reports which refer to this field all have saved specs which include the codes as in the string above.  But these specs are now outdated, and for the reports which look for codes with more than one letter, I would rather exchange the speed of a report which has such a saved spec with one with the accuracy of this spec:

Code
Select All
{ @Len(Coding) > 1 } 

This is much slower, but picks up the invoices last month which now include the letter O, which are overlooked by the original spec.

Long story short:  I've changed the retrieve spec and "Saved" it using the spec manager, but the reports which use this saved spec still look for the invoices with the codes spelled out.  What must I do in Designer to get the reports to use the revised spec?  Will I need to recreate the whole report?

I may have a followup question based on this one later.  Thanks for your help.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Changing a report's saved retrieve spec
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 9:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Infinity,

Create and save the retrieve spec in preview mode of Sesame Designer.
Redesign the report
Under Commands, scroll down and choose attach specs
Under Attach Spec, choose Select a Different Spec
Under Select a Spec choose the new Retrieve Spec.

Also. If you want to get all records that have a code that is not a single character you can use the retrieve spec below in that element. It should speed the reports right back up.

/=;?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 9:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray wrote:
Quote:
Create and save the retrieve spec in preview mode of Sesame Designer.
Redesign the report
Under Commands, scroll down and choose attach specs
Under Attach Spec, choose Select a Different Spec
Under Select a Spec choose the new Retrieve Spec.

I'd rather just overwrite the old saved spec with the new retrieve criteria.  I'm guessing, then, if I do that I can accomplish what I want by attaching a completely different saved spec, saving the report, and then re-attaching the revised spec (with the old name) and saving again.  I'll test this theory tomorrow.

Quote:
Also. If you want to get all records that have a code that is not a single character you can use the retrieve spec below in that element. It should speed the reports right back up.

/=;?

Ah, see, that's why they pay youse guys the BIG BUCKS!!  Thanks muchly, Ray!

(But can you break down what that spec asks of Sesame?  I recognize / as not, = as equal, but then the semicolon and question mark puzzle me.  Thanks.)

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 9:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Feb 28th, 2011 at 9:31pm:
Ray wrote:
I'd rather just overwrite the old saved spec with the new retrieve criteria.  I'm guessing, then, if I do that I can accomplish what I want by attaching a completely different saved spec, saving the report, and then re-attaching the revised spec (with the old name) and saving again.  I'll test this theory tomorrow.

Just reattach the revised spec. No need to attach a different spec first.

Quote:
Ah, see, that's why they pay youse guys the BIG BUCKS!!  Thanks muchly, Ray!

(But can you break down what that spec asks of Sesame?  I recognize / as not, = as equal, but then the semicolon and question mark puzzle me.  Thanks.)

/ Not
= Blank
; Or
? One Character

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged