Normal Topic how do i create a duplicate form/database? (Read 1310 times)
laurie

how do i create a duplicate form/database?
Mar 2nd, 2011 at 2:28am
Print Post Print Post  
in q and a i had same databse one for active customers and one for nonactive customers.  i would at end of month copy the  nonactive customers to the nonactive database and then delete them from active database.  how can i do this in sesame?  i want the form to look the same for both.

thank for your help.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: how do i create a duplicate form/database?
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 9:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Laurie,

Do you want each database to be entirely independent from each other? (you remove the inactive customers from one and put them in the other totally stand alone)  or active and inactive to be part of the same application but 2 separate databases?  (you open up 1 app with 2 separate databases one holding active the other holding inactive)

May I be so bold as to ask why you want to remove the records rather than just code the active verses inactive within the same database so you could then run history reports and mailing lists etc.

Sesame handles huge amounts of data without any hiccups, so if fear of speed or problems with large amounts of data is your concern, they may be unfounded.

Let us know what you want to accomplish and we will try and point you in the proper direction to achieve your desires.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

laurie

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 10:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
reason i had 2 different databases was so i could see how many active i add at the time and also so i could reuse the account number.  i dont use the info except for myself and to give an account a number which i would then use in my accounting databse.  i know its hard to import/transfer from one app to another so i figured if it was in same app but different form would be fine.  how i would do it in q & a was i would go and change the y to a n in the acctive field then i would run a retrieve and then copy those records to the inactive database then i would just delete the accounts from active database then i would be able to use those account numbers again.  however there are times when i want to see if we had a particular company before and for how long.  me and my husband run a honor vending company

and another note how do i delete a form i created if i dont like it?  i just went from trial to full version.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 11:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Laurie,

It sounds like you are looking to create a fairly basic application that with Sesame is a breeze to create.

First have you looked at the Sesame sample applications? you may want to look those over and see what features you like. You could even use one of them to work from.

Now about your application, If I understand correctly you enter accounts that have your honor vending machines at their premises.
You will have an element (maybe a checkbox) that Identifies active or inactive
you will have elements that puts the date and time the account was entered into the system when it is created
you will have a unique ID that the system will create for the account the first time it was created.
I imagine you have all the basic demographics, Name, contacts, address etc.

With the above elements you can easily have buttons that you push that shows you:
active with a total count of how many.
not active with a total count of how many.
records entered today with a total count of how many.
records entered for week or month  with a total count of how many.
you can also have how many inactive based on the same info as above.

You could then have a subform that keeps track of each time you go out to a specific location
so you would have a single record for the account, but would have unlimited records of each time you go to a location.

Do you keep track of what was sold by each machine? you could have a separate subform that tracks itiems that was sold at each location.

Am I close to understanding what you would like to do? What I have described is a breeze to accomplish in Sesame and you could do this in a few hours and you would get lots of help from us all on the forum.
If you need a little help I  would be glad to create the rough application for you to get you started and then email it to you so you can build on it however you desire from there. We all needed help at the begining! The people on this forum helped me every day for a long time.

What I found when I switched from Q&A to Sesame is the things I only dreamed of doing with Q&A was only the starting point with the power and simplicity of creating with Sesame.

Your second question about deleting could be one of 2 things. if you want to delete a database from an existing application you can use the Trim application. Search the user guide for trim (in mine its at page 429 but I am not sure if my manual is as new as yours)

Now my interpretation of what you are trying to delete is the layout form and that is done by opening your application in Sdesigner and selecting Manage a database from the main tree, then select manage layouts, then goto action tab and select delete a layout then layout name, then click form then select form name you desire. Next you click the button labeled add transactions to batch then click run batch button. That's it...

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2011 at 12:34am
Print Post Print Post  
Laurie,

I just played a bit more with deleting layouts and databases. It can all be done from the Managing a database section of Sdesigner. To delete a database use the delete a database choice under manage fields action tab.
This way you will not need to use the trim feature at all.

Just a warning - make a back-up first because there is no undo feature if you change your mind.

IP Logged

laurie

Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2011 at 1:03am
Print Post Print Post  
bob

i have already translated over the account database and have all of my active accounts in it.  the applicatin is called munchbox and the form is called munchbox i want to use same layout for another form called nonactive.  thought i might explain myself a little better as to what i want.  

in q and q what i had done was copy the active database and named it nonactive then as i said copied the records.

and yes i have name address city phone contact name date we got account and active elements in layout.  if you would like i could send you the app with the one form in it then you would see what i need done for the second form.

thank you the delete form/databse worked.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2011 at 1:25am
Print Post Print Post  
Laurie,
If you want to do the exact same thing as you had in Q&A (2 separate applications) you can just open the application in Sdesigner goto the application file/tab in the main tree and click save as new application and name it inactiveMunchbox.

You will then have 2 databases like you had in Q&A. you can then either manualy export, import and delete or create other automated ways to export and then import. There are many options.

I still am not sure why you want to remove the records. I would think adding a combo box text element with the selection choices of Active and Inactive and then only searching on active would be so much simpler. You could even use sbasic programming to only offer you active unless you do some other option (press button, enter password, log in as different user, etc) to then only offer inactive.

From an outsiders standpoint it seems like a lot of work to remove the data and if anything you lose capabilities instead of gain any. With that said it's your choice and Sesame will let you do whatever you want and us forum dwellers we be glad to help whatever methods you decide to use.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #7 - Mar 3rd, 2011 at 1:34am
Print Post Print Post  
laurie wrote on Mar 3rd, 2011 at 1:03am:
 if you would like i could send you the app with the one form in it then you would see what i need done for the second form.

Laurie,

Check your private messages.

IP Logged

laurie

Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 12:50am
Print Post Print Post  
thank you so much Bob for all your help.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #9 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 1:38am
Print Post Print Post  
Laurie,

You are very welcome, I am glad I could help.

Keep us posted on how your project is going. If you get stuck on anything give us a shout.

IP Logged