Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) IMPORTING CURRENT DATA (Read 3401 times)
mytime0127

Q&A user since 1994

IMPORTING CURRENT DATA
Mar 9th, 2011 at 2:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Switching from Q&A to Sesame2.  The input forms have been completed and I am using old data for testing purposes.  I am ready to lauch the program for the end users but I must first bring in the current Q&A data to Sesame2.  I have accessed the knowledgebase and the manuals and still do not understand how to perform this task.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: IMPORTING CURRENT DATA
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 3:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Does your new Sesame database have the same fields in the same order as your Q&A database, or did you move things around?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

mytime0127

Q&A user since 1994

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 3:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
SSame fields.  No changes.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 7:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
That makes it pretty easy. Do you know how to export your data out of Q&A in Standard ASCII format? If not, please tell me which version of Q&A you have.

- Hammer
IP Logged

mytime0127

Q&A user since 1994

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 7:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes. The N030911.asc data resides in the same Sesame directory as the test data.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 9:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Then all you should need to do is import the file. Basic instructions for that are here.

Since you have a field-to-field match, you don't need to select each field individually. When you click where it says Import [Your Form Name], one of the choices is Set All. This will select all the fields. Then, just deselect the one marked IGNORE COLUMN and run the import.

For more information, see the Importing Data section of the Sesame User Guide, pages 337-343.

- Hammer
IP Logged

mytime0127

Q&A user since 1994

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 10:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
As a still current user of Q&A, I appreciate the help to understand the Sesame database structure and uses.  The information you sent explains better than the Sesame Users Guide.
2. shows as follows:
"If the Spec Window title bar at the bottom left of your screen does not display Import followed by your form name, click on the large arrow to the right of the title until Export is the displayed spec."
Am I reading this incorrectly?  Should the Spec Window Title show Import or Export?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 3:36am
Print Post Print Post  
mytime0127 wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 10:33pm:
As a still current user of Q&A, I appreciate the help to understand the Sesame database structure and uses.  The information you sent explains better than the Sesame Users Guide.
2. shows as follows:
"If the Spec Window title bar at the bottom left of your screen does not display Import followed by your form name, click on the large arrow to the right of the title until Export is the displayed spec."
Am I reading this incorrectly?  Should the Spec Window Title show Import or Export?

It should say Import. Thanks for spotting that typo in the article. I'll have it fixed.

You can also right-click on that title bar and select Import, if you prefer that to using the arrows to cycle through the various specs.

- Hammer
IP Logged

mytime0127

Q&A user since 1994

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 2:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
I opened the Q&A database, printed the database structure (as created) and the Input Form to align the fields between Q&A and Sesame.  There are Q&A fields that are not utilized in the Sesame form so, as I understand it, i'll "ignore" these fields when bringing the data over to Sesame?
When in Sesame, using the Spec Window, place the fields in the same order as the Q&A fields, then I can import the data?

I did not complete this step the first time so I have to delete all records and re-do the import?
Thanks for your patience with this switchover. Embarrassed

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 3:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
mytime0127 wrote on Mar 10th, 2011 at 2:15pm:
I opened the Q&A database, printed the database structure (as created) and the Input Form to align the fields between Q&A and Sesame.  There are Q&A fields that are not utilized in the Sesame form so, as I understand it, i'll "ignore" these fields when bringing the data over to Sesame?

Yes you will have to ignore those fields in the import spec

Quote:
When in Sesame, using the Spec Window, place the fields in the same order as the Q&A fields, then I can import the data?

Yes.

Quote:
I did not complete this step the first time so I have to delete all records and re-do the import?

Yes. Since you are bringing in all records from Q&A you will want to delete all the records currently in Sesame and then import the file.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

mytime0127

Q&A user since 1994

Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 4:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Smiley Worked great!  Had to do it a few times (mass delete and import) to get the data to carry over correctly. Smiley

Removed the Q&A fields that contained masking and changed date fields to text fields.  This removed the ()'s, & -'s, /'s to prepare the data for the import to Sesame.
I am no expert in Sesame by any means, but I think I may have the import task where I understand and can do it with the other Q&A database.

I have never had software support that has been as exceptional as Sesame.
Kudos and thanks to Ben, Raymond and the Lantica Users Forum for their help.

Becky Meier, ENP

IP Logged

mytime0127

Q&A user since 1994

Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 7:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Once the Q&A data was clean and imported to Sesame, all fields populated properly. 
In Sesame designer I used the template to simulate the date fields, ie. ####/##/##; the 4 telephone number fields as (###) ###-####.  The data is correct but it seems I have to click in each of these fields, save record and F10 in order for the formatting to adhere to the data.  This means 5 clicks on each of the 2,710 records.
Is there something I can do to perform this task with a less time-consuming activity?

This is the first of 3 databases I will be importing from Q&A.  The next database has 10,000 records and I do not look forward to performing the time consuming task on THAT database. (We are still using Q&A until I can get Sesame launched. Ugh.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #12 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 10:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Two quick cautions, since this will probably be a fairly popular topic:

1) Be sure to eliminate double quotes before importing.  This will generally apply only to multi-line text fields.  (We have a set of "Account History" fields.)  There are two slightly different ways to do this.  Either just use @Replace() in Q&A to change double quotes to something else (like a pair of single quotes), or replace with an oddball character such as carat and once the import is done, reverse the process to restore the double quotes.

2) There is no way to preserve hard returns using export from QA and import.  (When exporting, Sesame replaces hard returns with \n but QA doesn't.)  If you need to do so, it may be best to set up your new application (I did a conversion and then major changes to that) and then do a completely new conversion.  You'll wind up with (1) your first highly-modified conversion and (2) your new conversion with blank lines intact.  You can then export from the new conversion, since Sesame will retain the blank lines.

Regarding the Sesame export-import, it won't matter if the fieldnames from your new translation don't match the fieldnames of your first conversion (now significantly modified) because Sesame doesn't use fieldnames in the export-import process.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2011 at 4:11pm by Rick_R »  

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #13 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 1:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
mytime0127 wrote on Mar 10th, 2011 at 7:21pm:
Once the Q&A data was clean and imported to Sesame, all fields populated properly.  
In Sesame designer I used the template to simulate the date fields, ie. ####/##/##; the 4 telephone number fields as (###) ###-####.  The data is correct but it seems I have to click in each of these fields, save record and F10 in order for the formatting to adhere to the data.  This means 5 clicks on each of the 2,710 records.
Is there something I can do to perform this task with a less time-consuming activity?

This is the first of 3 databases I will be importing from Q&A.  The next database has 10,000 records and I do not look forward to performing the time consuming task on THAT database. (We are still using Q&A until I can get Sesame launched. Ugh.

If the dates are actually set to be Date fields, then they should be respecting date formatting. If they are dates typed into Text fields, then a mass update should be able to reformat all your records in one operation. Same goes for your phone numbers. You can probably ditch the templates.

- Hammer
IP Logged

mytime0127

Q&A user since 1994

Reply #14 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 2:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Great news!  I'll give it a try.
Sure would be a great weekend if I can do this properly and it works. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2