Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) PrintString and Adobe PDF virtual Printer (Read 1533 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

PrintString and Adobe PDF virtual Printer
Mar 18th, 2011 at 2:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am trying to printout multiple records using Adobe PDF virtual printer and merge them into one pdf file using other program afterwards. I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.0.  I cannot print the document created using PrintString commands with Adobe PDF printer.   Adobe PDF printer prints fine everything else (such as documents created using MergefilePrint () commands or word file or any text from browser) other than the documents created with PrintString commands. .

Adobe PDF driver allows me to choose the destination folder and it prints out document using temporary.pdf without displaying. This would be perfect setup for merging the individual pdf files into one pdf file using command line utility but that  Only if I can get Adobe PDF printer working with documents created using printstring ( ) commands!!!

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: PrintString and Adobe PDF virtual Printer
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 3:02am
Print Post Print Post  
"Adobe PDF driver allows me to choose the destination folder and it prints out document using temporary.pdf without displaying."

Is that the way it's supposed to work? I have Acrobat Standard and it always displays a dialog asking for the name to use for the output file.  (It's possible that is settable.  I haven't checked.)

Also, there are quite a few free virtual PDF printer programs.  You might try one of those.  Do PDF and Cute PDF are two I know of.  I have both Acrobat's virtual printer and DoPDF and they don't conflict.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 11:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Rick. I have gotten DocuCom Pdf Driver that allows me to do what I want to do and it is working fine with PrintString ( ) command.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 11:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Mar 20th, 2011 at 11:01pm:
I have gotten DocuCom Pdf Driver that allows me to do what I want to do and it is working fine with PrintString ( ) command.

Bharat,

Just wondering are you using the DocuCom Pdf Driver on a win7 os?

I have been able to do as you state above using the DocuCom Pdf Driver in xp and below but the DocuCom Pdf Driver I have for win7 gives me sporadic results at best.

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 1:23am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob,

I have just started putting the things together. DocuCom pdf driver seems to be quite good as it let us choose the folder and name of the file automatically.  At work I have Windows XP that I am planning to change to Windows7 soon.  What I am hoping to do is, with a press of a button, it should make a patient record, including all visits, history, Lab, xray, cosults, etc, together in one pdf file ready to be emailed or faxed as required.

I will keep you informed as to how does it come out. It is nice to have you on the board again.

Bharat

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob, the problem is not DocuCom pdf driver. The culprit seems to be incompatibility of some of the PrintString ( ) commands and Windows 7.  The document prepared with PrintString () commands and printed out with HP Printer exhibits the same behavior as with the DocuCom Pdf driver. 

If the document is of one page, it works fine with Windows XP and Windows 7. However, if the document is of more than one page, in Windows 7, it print one more blank page at the end, while works fine with XP.  Please tell us about your experience, as I know, you are fond of PrintString ( ) commands printing as it does not depend on other outside program such as MS Office.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
I could not get Adobe PDF printer to work in either of the XP or Windows 7.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Is that the way it's supposed to work? I have Acrobat Standard and it always displays a dialog asking for the name to use for the output file.  (It's possible that is settable.  I haven't checked.)

You can set it up using Properties.

Printing Preference --> Adobe pdf output folder

uncheck the view adobe pdf result

Please note that it seems like it is not working with PrintString ( ) commands until we get some insight from Lanticans.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:30pm:
Bob, the problem is not DocuCom pdf driver. The culprit seems to be incompatibility of some of the PrintString ( ) commands and Windows 7.  The document prepared with PrintString () commands and printed out with HP Printer exhibits the same behavior as with the DocuCom Pdf driver.  

If the document is of one page, it works fine with Windows XP and Windows 7. However, if the document is of more than one page, in Windows 7, it print one more blank page at the end, while works fine with XP.  Please tell us about your experience, as I know, you are fond of PrintString ( ) commands printing as it does not depend on other outside program such as MS Office.

Hello Bharat,

I am currently on a Windows 7 machine and my print outs from PrintString are the same as they are on XP. Can you try with the 2nd record(It will split onto 2 pages) in the Sesame Seasons samples application and let me know if it prints correctly for you?

Are you using AlternateDefaultPrinter? If so try setting the printer as the default in Windows, comment out the AlternateDefaultPrinter calls and let me know the results.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 3:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank Ray. It seems like PDF driver is not compatible with Windows 7.  We are alright on Sesame side.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 2:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Just wondering are you using the DocuCom Pdf Driver on a win7 os?  

Hi Bob, DocuCom PDF driver seems to work fine with Windows 7 and XP both. PrintString commands are a little tricky when it comes to printing multiple pages to initiate the next page at the precise point especially when you know the various elements on the form can have varying amount of texts (it could be one line or it could be 10 lines).

Yes, by using external utilities to create, merge and convert rtf to pdf utilities, I could complete the project of printing complete record with a press of a button.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2011 at 7:44pm by Bharat_Naik »  

IP Logged