Normal Topic How do I "manage" "entry fields" in Charity Donors (Read 1850 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

How do I "manage" "entry fields" in Charity Donors
Jun 30th, 2011 at 6:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I have, from time to time asked whether anyone had a "Recipies" database but have never had any luck obtaining one.

It seems to me that I should be able to "convert" the Charity Donors Sample Database, however, I am having several problems doing so.  I will deal with them one at a time as I come to - and am able to manipulate - each one.

My first problem is this:  I can look at and see the properties for the Amount Field which is a MONEY field.  When I go to the Database Manager; however, which is where I would normally change the field type,  I DO NOT SEE an element for the Amount Field (nor Donation Date and Type).  

I would like to know "why" I'm not finding it in Manage a Database and "where" I CAN find it (along with the two other related fields) so that I can change the field types.

Thanks!

- Spencer

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: How do I "manage" "entry fields" in Charity Do
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 7:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Spencer,

Amount, Donation Date and Type on the Donors form are all unbound elements, so you will not find a matching field in the Field Manager. To change there data type, you will want to go to the Format tab of the Property Editor.  In the 'Format Unbound As' drop down choose the data type you want it to be. Then just save the layout design.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 8:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray -

Thanks again, for making it so clear and simple and for helping me "limp" along with my project.  Wink

- Spencer

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 4:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
There are a number of programs that have "wizards" for creating common databases such as Video Collection, Wine Collection, CD Collection, etc.  If you have MS Access, Microsoft has a large collection of templates.  LibreOffice / OpenOffice (www.LibreOffice.org / www.OpenOffice.org) also has a Table Wizard to create common tables.  You can use those to quickly create a prototype and then basically just duplicate the structure in Sesame.  Sesame doesn't have as many field types (e.g., no "hyperlink/URL" type, no "blob" type), but most of what you need will be there.

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 8:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rick -

I appreciate the advice; however, I no longer use Access.  As a matter of fact my RECIPE database (which I thought was great) was the last and only one I still had in Access.  So, having found the "Donor" sample database, I thought it would be a perfect template and, so far, it is looking good.

Again, thanks for the info.

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 10:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

When you are in add mode in the "Donor" sample database, it brings up a message that you can't enter data in the subform and exits the record.  Unfortunately, you then lose everything you have entered so far.

I want to change that to bring up a message and to throw focus back (somewhere) in the main record.  I looked for the programming but cannot find it.  Can you please tell me where it is?

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 9:03am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray -

Never Mind - I finally found it in the Subform Donations: On Form Entry

All I had to do was change the message - and remove @exit.  That automatically returns you to the main form and you can continue working without losing anything.

Smiley

- Spencer

IP Logged