Normal Topic "600 Seconds" (Read 812 times)
digitelcej

No personal text

"600 Seconds"
Jul 24th, 2011 at 4:16am
Print Post Print Post  
This forum has been very useful to me over the years.  As a novice part time programmer, I frequently get stumped, and usually can find answers to my questions by just searching the forum.

I am amazed at the patience and willingness to help on the part of everyone here, and congratulate you all on your tremendous support.

Recently, however, it has become almost useless.  If I happen to make an error in searching, I get a "this ip has made a post and you must wait 600 seconds", or something like that.

I just intended to search for @time, but neglected to put the @ on it, so now I get to sit here for 10 minutes at 11:23 PM waiting to re-search.

I understand the problem with spammers, but surely there's a better way.  Am I missing something?

Thanks

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: "600 Seconds"
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 12:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Like most forums, we are beset with a constant stream of spam posters. I set the "post" limit to 600 seconds, to prevent spammers from being able to post dozens, if not hundreds of spam messages every time they log in. Unfortunately, the forum software sees any action, like searching, as being a "post". I will see if I can de-couple the two behaviors.

Thank you for your patience. The ongoing battle with spammers is a lot like living in Holland, we are always on the edge of being flooded.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: "600 Seconds"
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 1:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry for the "double post", but I decoupled the search feature from the 600 second timeout. You can now search without the time limit applying. It still applies to regular posts.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged