Normal Topic Want to replicate Q&A POST (Read 456 times)
magicfish

Want to replicate Q&A POST
Aug 16th, 2011 at 7:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
In Q&A, I had a few databases where I would POST information from one Q&A database to another. Sometimes the element data in the receiving database was replaced such as a date. Other times an amount being received would be added to the pre-existing quantity (integer or dollar amount).

I am now thinking of implementing some of these in my Sesame databases and I am wondering how I should go about this. Should I use export/import or mass update or something else? I think export/import would do fine where the result was to be replaced but I'm not sure about adding the imported amount to the existing amount. Is this going to be a problem to implement? Also, export/import is a two stage operation, could it be done in one step with mass update?

I would appreciate hearing any general suggestions or warnings or examples from people that have more experience than me.
Glenn

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Want to replicate Q&A POST
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 8:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
The best way to do this is to program your post routine using the XResultSet family of commands. This gives you the opportunity to handle errors and do calculations that a blind post cannot do.

If you want something that mimics Q&A's post, Inside Sesame has a utility called PostWizthat might meet your requirements.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged