Normal Topic Import from Excel (Read 780 times)
Faithlee

Import from Excel
Aug 19th, 2011 at 6:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Have data in spreadsheet from Excel that contains simple columns and rows.  Would like to have a new Sesame database to manage the data.  After adding all the elements in Sesame, how can I import from Excel and export to Sesame?  Thanks.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Import from Excel
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 8:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

Once you have the Form created in Sesame, You will want to save the Excel spreadsheet as a .CSV file by using File->Save As in Excel. Then in Sesame follow the steps for Importing Data as found detailed in our Knowledgebase at http://www.lantica.com/support/kb/article/000085 for importing that CSV file.

If you have any questions about this or run into any problems, just let me know and I will be happy to help you.
-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Import from Excel
Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 1:21am
Print Post Print Post  
A caution -- Excel does not correctly output to CSV.  I don't recall the specifics but it either doesn't put double quotes around certain data types that require it or it puts them where they're not supposed to be.  Take the same spreadsheet and output it to CSV from both Excel and OpenOffice/Libre Office's Calc, then look at the CSV in a text editor.  Calc follows the standard, Excel doesn't.

Generally, when you use CSV to transfer between programs in MS Office it won't matter, but if you try to load an Excel-generated CSV into a program other than MS Office it can cause problems.

IP Logged