Normal Topic Subform - Form view help (Read 1382 times)
tcgeo

Subform - Form view help
Sep 7th, 2011 at 1:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have a subform that displays in Form View. If I have more than one subform record and I click the Save Record button to save the parent, the displayed subform record reverts back to the very first record entered. What’s the trick to forcing the record that is displayed when Save Record is clicked, to continue to be displayed for this session and then also displayed when a new search is performed on the parent record?

Thank you.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Subform - Form view help
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 2:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is there some particular logic to which subrecord should appear when a new search is run, or is it arbitrarily selected by the user?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 2:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Erika, thanks for the help.

It would be arbitrarily selected by the user. One example they gave me was, suppose they create a new subform record. Then, afterwords they want to delete that entry and go back to the previous record or any record they chose. They want that last record they worked on displayed the next time a search is performed on the parent. Hope I'm making sense here?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 3:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
tcgeo wrote on Sep 7th, 2011 at 2:22pm:
Hello Erika, thanks for the help.

It would be arbitrarily selected by the user. One example they gave me was, suppose they create a new subform record. Then, afterwords they want to delete that entry and go back to the previous record or any record they chose. They want that last record they worked on displayed the next time a search is performed on the parent. Hope I'm making sense here?

The only way I can think to do that is to have a field on the parent form that stores some unique value in the subrecord and loads the correct subrecord on form entry of the parent record. Note, that it can't be the "record number" aka result set position of the subrecord because that can change. You'll have to manage the bookkeeping by hand as well, to deal with them choosing a different subrecord or deleting the one they previously marked as the "active" record. It gets more complicated if each user wants to see the subrecord they picked, which may be different from the one the user next to them picked.

- Hammer
IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 2:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ok, thank you Erika, I’ll work on that.

In the meantime and since version 3 is being worked on, do you think that this is a feature that could be worked into it?

Having the option to have Sesame display the last Form View record worked on or saved, when you open the parent record. I think the use of Form View would be much more powerful this way.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity and if you have time, how is Form View supposed to be used? In other words, if you enter a parent record that contains a subform displayed in Form View, what is expected of the data entry person to find the last Form View record worked on(if it's saved), since it defaults to the first record? My customer for example uses a Form View subform to track subscription orders. She wants to be able to see the last order record entered the next time she opens the subscriber's parent record, not the first one.

Also, and on a slightly different subject, Table View shows the last entry, last on the list. Is there a way to reverse the order in Table View without a sort on the data so that the last entry is first?

Thanks again for your time,

Brandon

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 2:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
tcgeo wrote on Sep 8th, 2011 at 2:38pm:
Ok, thank you Erika, I’ll work on that.

In the meantime and since version 3 is being worked on, do you think that this is a feature that could be worked into it?

Having the option to have Sesame display the last Form View record worked on or saved, when you open the parent record. I think the use of Form View would be much more powerful this way.

That's probably not viable, Brandon, but we'll keep it in mind.

Quote:
Just to satisfy my own curiosity and if you have time, how is Form View supposed to be used? In other words, if you enter a parent record that contains a subform displayed in Form View, what is expected of the data entry person to find the last Form View record worked on(if it's saved), since it defaults to the first record? My customer for example uses a Form View subform to track subscription orders. She wants to be able to see the last order record entered the next time she opens the subscriber's parent record, not the first one.

Also, and on a slightly different subject, Table View shows the last entry, last on the list. Is there a way to reverse the order in Table View without a sort on the data so that the last entry is first?

In both the cases you describe, that's what a default sort is for. If all you want is for the record with the latest date to appear first, apply a default sort that puts the records in that order and they will always come up that way.

- Hammer
IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 2:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ok, Thank you.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 3:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
FYI...we had a similar issue that Ray solved for us:

When saving a record, the subform was 'reloading' and 're-sorting' back to the first record in the batch.

By turning OFF the default sort for the subrecords, we can now save our parent record (using a command button on the form) and the current sub-record stays in view.

I think our issue was being triggered by the FormFieldValue command, but perhaps is related to Tcgeo's issue, as well.

Steve

IP Logged