Normal Topic Help us make Sesame 3 better! (Read 983 times)
Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Help us make Sesame 3 better!
Sep 22nd, 2011 at 2:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
We want to add some tips to help new users get started. Please reply to this post and tell us what you wish you’d known when you first started using Sesame. If you tried the Trial version, let us know if/where you got stuck. The perspective of our users is very valuable to us. We’d really love to hear from you!

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Jess
Lantica Support
Members

There's no "I" in Team.
But there's 2 in Martini.

Re: Help us make Sesame 3 better!
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 4:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
I think it should be noted, right from the beginning, that if you've got a question about Sesame (use, design, whatever!)...someone, somewhere, at some point, has probably had a similar question. And there are a number of ways to access this wealth of knowledge (the numerous database examples within Sesame itself, this forum, Lantica.com, any of the Guides - hardcopy of pdf -, "Inside Sesame" magazine, the phone/internet/email support, etc).

I can only speak for myself, but when I first started using Sesame, if I was able to find out the answer to a question via one or more of the aforementioned methods - I ended up answering a bunch more questions I didn't even realize I had yet! Understanding, comprehension, and best of all - new ideas - came snowballing thereafter. It's always comforting to see that someone else has asked a question that you may have previously considered "stupid", and especially, that you are part of a larger collective attempting to achieve similar goals.

IP Logged

Jess
Lantica Support
Members

There's no "I" in Team.

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 5:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
"Control the data, not the user" (my first Post-It in a long line of them)

Also - if you're not translating a Q&A database, sometimes it's hard to know where to start. Possibly something quick on the basic building blocks of creating db's, forms, LE's, etc....and a 'lil something extra on the availability of subforms and tabs depending on the type of data....

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 6:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi folks,

I moved the feature requests to a Sesame 3 Feature Requests Thread.

In this thread, we're looking for "first 15 minutes" information. The things that a person who has just opened the program for the first time is looking for or wondering about. What were your first 15 minutes like? How could we have improved things for you during those first 15 minutes?
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2011 at 1:18pm by Hammer »  

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 5:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Demo videos.  Just set up a screen capture program and go through some real basics like creating a 5-field database, opening the database, adding four records, then navigating between the records, switch between table and form view, etc.

IP Logged

magicfish

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 8:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
+1 to Rick's request for demo videos - include designing a report

IP Logged

Jess
Lantica Support
Members

There's no "I" in Team.

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 7:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Also, I think some quick examples that touch on the importance of the Property Editor and Property Viewer windows in Designer could be helpful. Maybe taking the same Elements that were created during the previously suggested demo, and changing some of their properties such as look, location and format. 

And, just a thought - what about users that have already had exposure to Sesame, and want to upgrade? I know there are a lot of changes and modifications...but would something that concentrates on just these differences be advantageous as an introductory tutorial of sorts?

IP Logged