Normal Topic New Server: where does the license file go? (Read 1130 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

New Server: where does the license file go?
Sep 28th, 2011 at 6:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've migrated all my Sesame files to a new server, updated the Path setting for each workstation, everything seems to be cool.  The executable resides in the Sesame\Program folder on all machines.  All my databases are in Sesame\Miara.  I've mapped drive letter F to the server C (root), and all my shortcuts, including the one on the server client, run this to fire up the main database:
Code
Select All
C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe -Client DC01 -ini_file F:\Sesame\Miara\1150-900-sesame.ini MIARA.db 

I have rootdirs.ini located in each client Sesame folder as well as Sesame\Program.

Now here's what's funky:  If I fire off the above shortcut the database opens just fine.  But then if I close the database and hit the "Open" button, and navigate to F:\Sesame\Miara and try to open MIARA.db again, I get a "file is locked" error.

I have a feeling that it's related to where the license file should be located.  Help would be appreciated.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: New Server: where does the license file go?
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 6:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Scott,

When you launch Sesame Client, the path at the top of the Sesame window does it say C:\Sesame\Miara\Miara.db? It should and that is correct. When you open the 'Open' dialog on a client, the C drive you see is the Server's C drive as we are a true Client/Server program. Clients should never have to browse to the F drive in Sesame as that's really just a round about way to get to the C drive on your Server system, which is why you're getting that error message. Sesame has C:\Sesame\Miara\Miara.db open and when you go to open F:\Sesame\Miara\Miara.db it sees the file as locked, as it's already open as C:\Sesame\Miara\Miara.db.

My recommendation would be to:

On the Server computer ONLY, unmap the F: drive.
On the Server computer set the client icon to be
Code
Select All
C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe -Client DC01 -ini_file C:\Sesame\Miara\1150-900-sesame.ini MIARA.db  

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 3:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Ray!  That makes a lot of sense, and I'll give it a try.  But right now I have the license file in a couple of locations.  Probably only needs to be in one but I'm not sure where that should be.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 4:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Sep 29th, 2011 at 3:54pm:
Thanks Ray!  That makes a lot of sense, and I'll give it a try.  But right now I have the license file in a couple of locations.  Probably only needs to be in one but I'm not sure where that should be.

Hello Scott,

The license file only needs to exist in the directory that is specified as the "Start In:" directory of the Sesame Server icon. That's also the only place the rootdirs.ini file needs to be as well, as the Server controls what directories people can browse to and view. If you got any more questions about what should go where, just let me know.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 5:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you Ray!

Captain Infinity
IP Logged