Normal Topic Looking For a Web Server for Sesame (Read 1569 times)
PianoMan
Members

No personal text

Looking For a Web Server for Sesame
Oct 7th, 2011 at 3:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Can anyone recommend a cloud server company that will allow a Sesame client to connect to .DB apps simply by pointing the Sesame client to an IP address, like as stated in the Sesame User Guide ... -client www.lantica.com ?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Looking For a Web Server for Sesame
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 3:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just some history: Shared servers have firewalls that prevent connections coming in from the outside via anything other than accepted methods such as http, https, or ftp. You can get around this using tunneling, but PianoMan is trying to avoid needing to do that by moving to a server that will let him open up the firewall. Anybody know of a cloud server who does that?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 3:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm quite certain Network Solutions has a service that will allow Sesame Server to run on their network. It requires their VPS Service package, which can be seen here:

http://www.networksolutions.com/vps/index.jsp

Hope that is what you are looking for. Would love to hear how your progress goes, as this project is very intriguing to me.

Good luck,

Steve

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 6:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes please keep us posted, many of us would be interested in this. For what it's worth though I have tried a number of different times to find a hosted type service, I was under the impression that using a third party service would be simpler than anything else.

I have found that setting up my own machine and "hanging it" on the web is actually easier and less frustrating than dealing with the server hosting service. Sesame is really very friendly to set up and run with your own web server. Following the documentation that is posted on the Lantica site made set up a breeze.

I am not crazy about dealing with maintaining my own server, but it is less of hassle then it was working with Covad and a few other hosted server providers like soft layer.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

PianoMan
Members

No personal text

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 7:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
I’m still researching this. My biggest concern is backing up Sesame files. I may need to sign up for a server, and get my hands dirty to figure this all out. I’m looking into a company called GoGrid. Certainly, there is the cost/benefit ratio to consider, which seems to favor setting up your own machine (as Bob suggests in his post).

IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2011 at 2:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Perhaps Lantica might consider setting up a cloud server to serve its Sesame population?

Larry
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 1:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 7th, 2011 at 3:14pm:
Just some history: Shared servers have firewalls that prevent connections coming in from the outside via anything other than accepted methods such as http, https, or ftp. You can get around this using tunneling, but PianoMan is trying to avoid needing to do that by moving to a server that will let him open up the firewall. Anybody know of a cloud server who does that?

I believe that HostMonster allows you to do this if you have a dedicated IP with them. This a quote from the following link, "Purchasing a dedicated IP will allow us to grant you access to the ports you will need to run your specific services on. This applies to both outbound and inbound connections running on non-standard ports."
https://my.hostmonster.com/cgi/help/426

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 4:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
FYI: I contacted Hostmonster and had them whitelist two ports for me for TCP, incoming and outgoing. I was then able to start a Sesame Server on those ports and connect directly to it with an offline Sesame Client. Obviously, it's a security hole, but it is easily doable.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

PianoMan
Members

No personal text

Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 7:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 12th, 2011 at 4:32pm:
FYI: I contacted Hostmonster and had them whitelist two ports for me for TCP, incoming and outgoing. I was then able to start a Sesame Server on those ports and connect directly to it with an offline Sesame Client. Obviously, it's a security hole, but it is easily doable.

I was able to do a similar thing using a Linux server provided by GoGrid. With some advise from Ray, I opened Sesame's default ports, got the server to recognize sesame and sunlock with the chmod command (chmod +x sesame). I then started Sesame server with ./sesame -server [ip address] -daemon &.
I was then able to connect with a Sesame client.

IP Logged