Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New forum version use (Read 2261 times)
tcgeo

New forum version use
Oct 12th, 2011 at 11:11am
Print Post Print Post  
I see that the forum says it’s been upgraded to version 2.5AE, and to let you know if there are any “posting difficulties”.  I don’t know about posting, but I am having difficulties searching. I’ve tried this while signed in and not. First I found that I was getting only one search result at a time and noticed that the field “By User:” defaulted to “Search all members only “and would not retain my selection of “Any Poster” for the next search. And, the “This post was made in the last…” was defaulted to “week” and would not retain my selection of “(All Posts)” for the next search.

I don’t recall having this trouble before, in other words every time I performed a search it always searched for any poster and all posts. Is there a way to make the choices default to my selections rather than having to make selections for each query?

Thanks

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: New forum version use
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 12:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'll see what I can do.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 2:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have to sign in every time. It does not keep me signed in as earlier version. My read posting showing as "not read". Sad

IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 2:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you Erika!

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 2:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Oct 12th, 2011 at 2:07pm:
I have to sign in every time. It does not keep me signed in as earlier version. My read posting showing as "not read". Sad

You may need to click the Mark Topics as Read link near the top of the page to reset your history. Also, you should clear out all your lantica.com cookies and sign in again. The cookies from the old version of the forum may be interfering.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 10:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
I also noticed that it does not show on the very first page if you have any unread message in the forum. One more click to check!!

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 12:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Oct 12th, 2011 at 10:12pm:
I also noticed that it does not show on the very first page if you have any unread message in the forum. One more click to check!!

I remember the old version of the Forum doing that too. If there were multiple unread threads in a board, and you looked at the board, it stopped showing on the main page that there were new posts. If I get a chance to go digging around in other people's Perl, I'll try to fix it.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 3:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 12th, 2011 at 2:32pm:
Bharat_Naik wrote on Oct 12th, 2011 at 2:07pm:

You may need to click the Mark Topics as Read link near the top of the page to reset your history. Also, you should clear out all your lantica.com cookies and sign in again. The cookies from the old version of the forum may be interfering.

I'm also seeing problems with the login state. The issue is on Firefox 7.0.1 and Chrome 14.0.835.202 (IE9 works properly).

I've check-marked all available selections in the "Clear All History" window in Firefox, and set it to "Everything" in the time range drop-down, then clicked on the Clear Now button. But, it still has problems.

If I login for "keeps", then close the browser and reopen it, the message at the top of the page states "Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register". If I try to login, it tells me that I'm already logged in. I have to logout, then login again for it to work correctly. But, if I close the browser, this all repeats again.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 4:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've seen this too. I don't have to logout though. Once it tells me I'm already logged in, I can just click Home and proceed normally. I agree that it's annoying. Although it's not happening for me anymore. What fixed all this for me is logging out, leaving the forum page, deleting all my lantica.com and www.lantica.com cookies, then logging back into the forum. Clearing your history does not delete the cookies set by the old forum.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is not fair!! People with 5 stars (based on the number of posts), now only have 4 stars. Why one star is taken away from us? Wink

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:13pm:
This is not fair!! People with 5 stars (based on the number of posts), now only have 4 stars. Why one star is taken away from us? Wink

Its motivational.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #11 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:13pm:

I don't know what you're talking about, Bharat. I see five stars. Plain as day. *whistles innocently*

- Hammer
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #12 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sylvester McMonkey McBean took the extra stars and placed them on the bellies of Sneetches with nothing on thars.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #13 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 9:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 4:08pm:
I've seen this too. I don't have to logout though. Once it tells me I'm already logged in, I can just click Home and proceed normally. I agree that it's annoying. Although it's not happening for me anymore. What fixed all this for me is logging out, leaving the forum page, deleting all my lantica.com and www.lantica.com cookies, then logging back into the forum. Clearing your history does not delete the cookies set by the old forum.

Problem solved!

I was using a bookmark to access the forum, which was www.lantica.com/Forum3/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl, and the new forum is actually http://lantica.com/Forum4/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #14 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 12:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
I view this forum, and everyone's input into it, an invaluable resource tool for researching code troubles I’m having, or to get ideas on how others have tackled similar issues. I find the limit of 15 search results very unsatisfactory. I know that there are posts I've read in the past that I can no longer get to. To try to squeeze more out of my searches, I now make sure to select “(All posts)” in “This post was made in the last…”, and put a check-mark in “Display only one result per thread”, but it doesn't help much. Is it possible to increase the number of results to say the last 100 or so? Just as an example, I’m a pilot wannabe, and therefore a flight simulator fan. If I search for “737” on the Avsim.com site, I get 40 pages of 25 results each, I can almost always find what I’m looking for.  I don’t know much about web site hosting, etc., is it cost prohibitive to have what seems to be, an unlimited or at least a very large search result at some sites? I also think this may be a disservice for those new to Sesame.

Thanks for reading my rant, if it’s operator error, I’ll humbly accept your suggestions for use. Anything you could do to help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Brandon

P.S. I’ve never used a Smiley before, so in keeping with that tradition I’ll use a Frowney  Sad, (ok, even though technically it's a sad Smiley, it's the closest one I could find to a frown, lol!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print