Normal Topic @Sendmail vs other Techniques (Read 2180 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

@Sendmail vs other Techniques
Nov 7th, 2011 at 12:30am
Print Post Print Post  
I have been asked if Sesame can handle managing a modern sales campaign with email marketing .

I have been using @Sendmail since it was made available and it has worked admirably and has been a great feature.

However I have followed some threads on the forum discussing some problems and am aware of the Email-it program from 2006 using the Febooti program and have seen Bharat's info on Smtp2go.

Can some-one in the know please tell me if there are reasons why someone would need to use email-it or smtp2go rather than @Sendmail?

Thanks so much for any input.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: @Sendmail vs other Techniques
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 1:07am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob,

I have been successfully using @sendmail ( ). The problem comes when mail provider uses SSL.

Note from Ray:
Quote:
The Sesame Sendmail command does not speak SSL at the present time, it speaks straight SMTP with authentication(username and password) if needed. You will want to find a SMTP server that does not require SSL to be used for connections.

AT & T, Comcast and other ISP use SSL.  I have been managing one website and they provided straight SMTP server, so I had no problem.

I do have word of caution as far as mass emailing for sales and marketing is concerned. If it is not properly handled, it could be inviting trouble with spamming issues.

IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 1:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
I use Thunderbird's ability to send email from the command line to send out emails. Use @CreateAProcess and piece together the command string using @CHR(32) (double quotes). It allows for attachments. Here's my Thunderbird subroutine:

Code
Select All
// The Thunderbird() subroutine take four arguments (all as STR) in the order of SendAddress, Subject, Body and the Attachments.
// The subroutine allows for multiple address and attachments, so long as the inputs are string arrays.
// Also, this subroutine assumes that the default Thunderbird install directory is the same on all computers.
SUBROUTINE Thunderbird(vToAddress as String, vSubject as String, vBody as String, vAttachment as String)
var vCommand as String
var vLoop as Int

If vToAddress <> "" // Not a blank vToAddress value.
{
	If @CountStringArray(vToAddress) = 1
	{
		vCommand = "to=" + vToAddress
	}
	Else // More than one address to be sent.
	{
		vCommand = "to='"
		For vLoop = 1 to @CountStringArray(vToAddress)
			vCommand = vCommand + @AccessStringArray(vToAddress, vLoop) + ","
		Next
		// Now remove the trailing ","
		vCommand = @TrimStringRight(vCommand, ",")
		// Now add the last "'".
		vCommand = vCommand + "'"
	}
}

If vSubject <> "" // Not a blank vSubject value.
{
	vCommand = vCommand + "," + "subject=" + vSubject
}

If vBody <> ""
{
	vCommand = vCommand + "," + "body=" + vBody
}

If vAttachment <> ""
{
	If @CountStringArray(vAttachment) = 1
	{
		vCommand = vCommand + "," + "attachment=file:///" + vAttachment
	}
	Else
	{
		vCommand = vCommand + "," + "attachment='"
		For vLoop = 1 to @CountStringArray(vAttachment)
			vCommand = vCommand + "file:///" + @AccessStringArray(vAttachment, vLoop) + ","
		Next
		// Now remove the trailing ","
		vCommand = @TrimStringRight(vCommand, ",")
		// Now add the last "'"
		vCommand = vCommand + "'"
	}
}
// Add final quote marks to vCommand string.
vCommand = @Chr(34) + vCommand + @Chr(34)
CreateAProcess("C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe -compose" + " " + vCommand)
END SUBROUTINE 

Kinda ugly, but it works. This subroutine pops up the composing window in ThunderBird, so that my users can 'see' what they're doing and make last minute changes, etc. I've got a list of oft-used PDF sell sheets that my sales reps send out using this subroutine. If you're looking to set up a whole campaign of emails to hundreds of people then this probably won't work -- maybe look into ConstantContact's API? Or some other email marketing company API?

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2011 at 3:24am
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

From my experience, you should have no trouble sending hundreds of emails throughout a single day using @SendMail(), unless sending through a 'wonky' ISP.

You might run into trouble with the ISP if you try to send THOUSANDS within a short amount of time.

Also, if you do have a very large email subscriber base, then you will want an easy way to manage unsubscribes, forwards, auto-responders, etc. We use iContact and have been pleased with their CSV import/export tool to/from Sesame.

IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2011 at 4:59am
Print Post Print Post  
I've been using Smtp2go for several months now - since I switched to an ISP (Cox) that requires SSL - and it works great.

vEmail = @sendmail("smtp2go.com","WebExport","From@gmail.com","ToRecipient@gmail.com","",
"","Here is a WebExport of " + vWeb,"","",vWeb)

Larry
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2011 at 5:12am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks everyone for the great input. You All are great. Between the great support from the Lantcans in Ohio and all of you, I always feel like there is no task I can not do with Sesame.

Thanks again!

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 11:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven's suggestion has worked well for me, also. And offers an extra benefit. You can ROAM across various internet providers without having to change the smtp server settings in Sesame.

This is really great in keeping with Sesame's awesome 'portability' factor. Now we should be able to use our Sesame ap from any remote location with internet and send mail from Sesame with no issues.

Thanks for the tip, lksseven!

IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 1:49am
Print Post Print Post  
Along with being effective and versatile, SMTP2GO is such a simple, inexpensive solution, too.  I'm very happy with it.  Like a refrigerator, you plug it in and then just use it instead of 'support' it.

What I cannot remember is if Sesame3 is going to allow a file to be created on the server and then email via programming from a remote client?  That would be a helpful ability.

Larry
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2012 at 2:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
@sendmail ( ) of sbasic does not work with SSL and I was looking for some solution as I use gmail exclusively for my email needs and it uses SSL protocol. I located the following blog with a program that works very well sending command line using smtp server of Google. Only requirement is that you have to have gmail account.  I am sure some of you might be interested in this. It is a simple program and even source code may be available.

http://commandlinesendmail.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #9 - May 24th, 2012 at 5:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat,

Thanks for the info.