Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Dragon - Speech Recognition Software with Sesame (Read 2745 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Dragon - Speech Recognition Software with Sesame
Dec 5th, 2011 at 2:47am
Print Post Print Post  
I am wondering if anyone is using Dragon with Sesame? It might not be a bad idea if Dragon could be used for text input in multiline element with long text entry.  Will Dragon work with Sesame?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Dragon - Speech Recognition Software with Sesame
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 3:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
I haven't tried it (even my computers are tired of listening to me talk). But, since it generally works as a keyboard replacement, it is likely to work with Sesame much as it would any other software.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 1:34am
Print Post Print Post  
That's a clever idea! It seems like Dragon could, at the very least, write to a text file that sesame can grab using the @insert() command (then run spellcheck, etc).

Please let us know your results.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 5:29am
Print Post Print Post  
Three comments:

First, Vista and Windows 7 both include speech recognition that supposedly is fairly good.  The reason they aren't mentioned is that when Vista was first introduced Bill Gates tried doing a live demo at a major conference and it cratered.

Second, I have had Dragon versions 9, 10, and 11.5 (the latest). I can't use them at all although they are quite accurate.  (Frankly, I'm amazed at the technology.  I spent a year in a doctoral program in linguistics--the science of how language works--so I know how complicated it is.  For both language generation and language comprehension the human mind basically has an incredibly complex computer program running on amazingly complex low-power, high-performance hardware.) I'm a lawyer, and the problem I find is that my writing style changes completely when using dictation technology.  My style when typing tends to use compact short declarative sentences.  When dictating, it comes out as standard legalese.  I spend so much time having to think about the exact wording and then changing it after dictating that it's actually faster just to type.

Third, I recently ran across a free Windows macro program called AutoHotkey.  http://www.Autohotkey.com I've only used it a little bit but from looking through the Help it seems to be incredibly powerful. It could probably be used to automate moving text between programs, as well as many other tasks.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 3:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
I do not have Dragon. I tried to use Windows Speech Recognition software in Windows7 but it would not take the dictation in Sesame's text element even after opening the element with F6.  It works well with Wordpad and MS Word.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 5:11am
Print Post Print Post  
I just tried it and I'm getting "sorta works" results. I have a dual-core Pentium E5700 with 4 GB DDR3, Asus P5G41T-M LX (LGA775) mobo, a 60GB SSD for the OS and a 1.5TB Seagate hard disk for data, PCIe video card, Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit and Dragon 11.5 Home. Although it is recognizing speech in text fields, it's only picking up some of the words. For instance, I spoke, "This is a test to see if Dragon can pick up my speech at a reasonable rate" and it typed "this is  to see if  at a reason" (although I spoke slightly slower than normal, which is not normally required when using Dragon).  The entire sentence comes out fine dictating directly into FireFox here with Sesame running.

I'm not using any memory or CPU-intensive programs (except Dragon).  The hardware and software I'm running is a bit souped up compared to a recent office PC.

I just tried all of these programs in the order listed, each opened successively without closing the others, and speaking at normal speed and each took the speech accurately:

1. FireFox 8
  2. WordPerfect X4
  3. Word 2007
  4. DavkaWriter 7 (a multi-lingual wordprocessor)
  5. Acrobat Standard 9 (adding text box)
  6. Nuance PDF Converter Pro 6 (Acrobat clone, adding a text box)

Obviously, the problem is the speed of the Dragon-Sesame text interface.

The following does work fine:
  1. While in Sesame say "Start Notepad." (Notepad starts.)
  2. Dictate into Notepad.
  3. Say "Select all.", "Copy that.", "Close.", "Don't Save."
  4. Switch to Sesame to the text field.
  5. Say "Paste that."

You can say "new line" before paste that, which does work okay.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 5:47am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Rick for your feedback. For a long dictation, this might be worthwhile. Probably in the text Editor field, Dragon might work normally. I could not get Windows7 Speech Recognition program to work properly.

IP Logged

Rick_R

YES - DRAGON WORKS WITH SESAME!
Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 7:09am
Print Post Print Post  
With Dragon activated and Sesame in a text field, say, "Press F six."  The editor opens.  Dictate your text, then say, "Close."  The text is transferred.

Although the "press" and "close" command work with Windows 7 speech recognition, it won't take dictation in the window.

By the way, Amazon has Dragon ver 10 for $30.  I have versions 9.5, 10 and 11.5 and I don't see a huge difference.  Dragon does come with about 6 dialects, including Midwestern American (standard newscaster), Southern American, UK, Australian, India and maybe 1-2 others.  (I think Singapore too, not sure.)

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #8 - Dec 28th, 2011 at 7:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
I noticed that TigerDirect.com has Dragon Naturally Speaking 11.5 (latest version) on sale for $20.  That's the one I tested above.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/WEM2948.asp?SRCCODE=WEM2948BY&cm_mmc=email-_-Ma...

IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #9 - Dec 29th, 2011 at 8:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
question - if I speak "1235" will the Dragon software input numerals or words ("1;2;3;5", or "one;two;three;five") ?

Larry
IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2011 at 4:59am
Print Post Print Post  
From their Help:

Any time you need to dictate a series of numbers and do not want Dragon to recognize them as words, you can turn on Numbers Mode. This could be useful, for example, if you are dictating in a spreadsheet program, such as Microsoft Excel.

To turn numbers mode on and off
By voice

To turn Numbers Mode on, say "Start Numbers Mode," "Numbers Mode On," or "Switch to Numbers Mode."

To turn Numbers Mode off, say "Stop Numbers Mode," "Numbers Mode Off," or "Switch to <any other> Mode."

When you turn off or stop Numbers Mode, Dragon switches to Normal Mode.

On the DragonBar (tool bar)

To turn Numbers Mode on, click Modes >Numbers Mode on the DragonBar.

To turn Numbers Mode off, click Normal Mode (or any other mode).

A dot next to the command name on the menu indicates that Numbers Mode is on.

Notes

With Numbers Mode on, Dragon tries to interpret everything as a number. If you dictate words in Numbers Mode, the results will be unpredictable.

You can still use commands while in Numbers Mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Dragon - Speech Recognition Software Dialects
Reply #11 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 7:46am
Print Post Print Post  
I'm installing Dragon on a new computer.  It has the following English dialects for voice recognition:
  1. Southeast Asian
  2. U.K.
  3. U.S.
  4. Indian

It has the following dialects for text-to-speech:
  1. U.K.
  2. U.S.

Something that would be interesting to try and should work would be a program code button that does the following:
  1. Set the clipboard to the text in a field.
  2. Call a text-to-speech reader like TextAloud and have it set to read aloud the contents of the clipboard.
  3. Return control to Sesame

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 3:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rick_R wrote on Jan 7th, 2012 at 7:46am:
Something that would be interesting to try and should work would be a program code button that does the following:
  1. Set the clipboard to the text in a field.
  2. Call a text-to-speech reader like TextAloud and have it set to read aloud the contents of the clipboard.
  3. Return control to Sesame

I've done this using text-to-speech programs on Linux. These are typically reading from stdio rather than a clipboard, but basically the same concept applies.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #13 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rick_R wrote on Jan 7th, 2012 at 7:46am:
I'm installing Dragon on a new computer.  It has the following English dialects for voice recognition:
  1. Southeast Asian
  2. U.K.
  3. U.S.
  4. Indian

Clarification regarding Dragon 10 (still available from various sources).

Dragon 10.0 and 10.01 don't work properly on any version of Windows 7 or 64-bit versions of Windows. When you go to the Nuance site to check for upgrades it takes you to a form that requires your 10.0 serial number.  It then emails you a link for a single download of Dragon 10.1, which is compatible. Only one download per serial number is available.

I downloaded the Preferred version (full retail $200).  Regarding voice recognition, it only has the U.K. and U.S. dialects, not also Southeast Asian and Indian.

IP Logged