Normal Topic Electronic Signature Implementation with Sesame (Read 1228 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Electronic Signature Implementation with Sesame
Feb 9th, 2012 at 10:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
For exchange of information in the form of Sesame Records that requires signature, I have been using scanned signature image but that is not 100% correct way to do it. I believe, electronic signature is more acceptable way. Any suggestions as to how can one implement electronic signature with Sesame Records? I do not know anything about electronic signature, so whatever basic information you provide will be helpful. Thanks.

IP Logged

Acebanner

Re: Electronic Signature Implementation with Sesame
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 12:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Feb 9th, 2012 at 10:57pm:
For exchange of information in the form of Sesame Records that requires signature, I have been using scanned signature image but that is not 100% correct way to do it. I believe, electronic signature is more acceptable way. Any suggestions as to how can one implement electronic signature with Sesame Records? I do not know anything about electronic signature, so whatever basic information you provide will be helpful. Thanks.

InsideSesame's July 2007 issue tackled it.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 2:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
That part with pad I have already implemented and that works fine for client's signature on documents. But what about the signature on documents printed out of Sesame Database in terms of records that you are supposed to sign? Suppose you fax invoices to clients from database directly (without printing) and it needs to have your signature. How can one handle it with your own digital or e-signature?

IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 6:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Feb 10th, 2012 at 2:29pm:
That part with pad I have already implemented and that works fine for client's signature on documents. But what about the signature on documents printed out of Sesame Database in terms of records that you are supposed to sign? Suppose you fax invoices to clients from database directly (without printing) and it needs to have your signature. How can one handle it with your own digital or e-signature?

Are they PDF documents? I've never gotten the hang of digital signatures in Adobe Acrobat, but maybe one of the various 3rd party PDF printers (PDF995) has a way of adding a default digital signature?

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 7:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Acebanner. Yes, they are pdf documents and some of them are rtf but they are converted into pdf before records are assembled into one pdf file. PDF documents do allow to collect digital signature using pad just as MS Word does. I have been using both MS Word and Adobe Acrobats for this purpose to collect client's signature. However, my question is pertaining to my own signature on the documents without going through pad.  Transparent image of my signature that is what I do at the present time but that has to be legally more sound way to sign those documents electronically, I think.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 11:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
I found some good presentation about digital signature. Not sure how to apply these with records created with Sesame..

http://www.youdzone.com/signature.html

I know this going to be the way going forward with all electronic documents transmitted using IT.  Any thoughts?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 12:27am
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat,
That article is about PGP and encryption, is that what you are after? Or are you intending to provide a way for you to sign a document much as you would sign a contract (affixing your signature to indicate consent and/or identity).

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 6:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark for explaining that it is not really digital signature and only an encryption. What I am looking for is to have a valid signature on various documents that I assemble into a pdf file directly from Sesame Database.  At present, I am using transparent gif image file of signature to go on the documents as my signature but I am afraid that might not be perfectly legal way. I am after finding alternative to that hoping that would stand up to legal scrutiny. Am I clear.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2012 at 8:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Let me give you example. I have to prepare medical record that has 15 progress notes, each needs to have a signatures. These are put together in one record in a pdf file to be attached to an email or uploaded to a server. The progress note entered on a particular day will have date and time stamp and cannot be changed after the day it was entered is over but it can have an addendum. These notes are either printed out using PrintString ( ) or MergeFilePrint ( ) command using rtf file.  What is being done now is I have my transparent gif signature image that goes in the each document but that is not quite valid signature.  I use Signature pad for client e-signature either in Adobe Acrobat or MS Word that automatically imprint time and date of signing. If anything any part of the signed document is altered, the signature of client's signature will go away, that is why it is a valid e-signature while just placing a signature image using PrintString ( ) or MergeFilePrint () is not a valid digital signature, I believe.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 2:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Feb 12th, 2012 at 8:43pm:
If anything any part of the signed document is altered, the signature of client's signature will go away, that is why it is a valid e-signature while just placing a signature image using PrintString ( ) or MergeFilePrint () is not a valid digital signature, I believe.

I suspect that research beyond what I can offer is probably necessary to determine the legal requirement for your business in regard to signatures.

That said...

If it is assumed that any change to the Sesame record(s) that comprise a top-level form require a new signature, I'd recommend that you embed a signature file (a newly acquired image of your sig) in that record, that is cleared on record change. You are then notified that some number of records need "re-signed". At which point, using the one of the external-process commands in Sesame, you are provided with a "drawing" program that accepts your sig. That image file is then placed in the image element as your signature for that record. The drawing program should be invocable from a command line and, if possible, be provided with a filename for the image by Sesame.

The image files, could be organized in a sub-directory, using system security to prevent alterations/deletions. Use a unique file naming scheme to identify them by date (seconds since 1970/1980). Etc.

That way the signature is specific to the addendum, new, and dated.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged