Normal Topic can not open a file as client (Read 952 times)
Amor
Members

No personal text

can not open a file as client
Feb 28th, 2012 at 4:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello! I can't understand why my file : ARCHIVE_VARIA_2012.db   may not open as client!
but i can open it in Standalone.

the error:
Warning: one or more oft the files(.db,.dat,.dsr,.ddt) tha comprise this application are set to be read only or do not exist. This application may open, but it will retain changes.

Thank you for the help.

Dr. med. Amor Belhareth&&Medizin Labor &&Germany

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: can not open a file as client
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 4:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Amor,

Do you get a second error message after that? or does the file open?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Amor
Members

No personal text

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 5:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hallo Ray!
It does not open.
If i am renaming this file in ARC_Varia.db then it is running fine.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 6:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Do you get a second error message after the one that says one of the files is read-only or does not exist?
Are you renaming both the DB and DAT files?

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Amor
Members

No personal text

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 7:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes the second error: icanīt open the file F:\sesame2\data\ARCHIV_VARIA_2012.DB".
i used save as to have a Copie of the File ARCHIV_VARIA_2012.db (no File Renaming)

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 9:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am going to guess that is not the exact wording of the second error message, but that it is a one line error message. This narrows it down to the following causes that I know of

The file F:\sesame2\data\ARCHIV_VARIA_2012.DB does not exist at that path or name on the Sesame Server.

User account running Sesame server does not have read and/or write permissions to F:\sesame2\data\ARCHIV_VARIA_2012.DB

If you look in the Sesame log on the Server computer do you see an entry that says "s_ENG510153 failure while loading application: F:\sesame2\data\ARCHIV_VARIA_2012.DB."?

The most common cause of this that I have seen is a bad file path to a DB file in the shortcut to a Sesame client. The path to the DB file in the shortcut must be relative to Server not the client. So if the Server sees the file as C:\sesame2\data\ARCHIV_VARIA_2012.DB but from the Client the path is F:\sesame2\data\ARCHIV_VARIA_2012.DB, the icon needs to be
Quote:
c:\Sesame2\Program\sesame.exe -Client ServerName C:\sesame2\data\ARCHIV_VARIA_2012.DB

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Amor
Members

No personal text

Reply #6 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 11:47am
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Ray-

Hier waht a get in Sesame log file:

…š=R   

'  2012/02/29  12:43:32 \SesaS_ENG 330680                                                                                                                    Failure to read a record at 152728.                                                                                                                                                                                                                             \M
   2012/02/29  12:43:32 \SesaS_ENG 330860                                                                                                                    Failed to read a record.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        \M
   2012/02/29  12:43:40 \SesaS_ENG 510150                                                                                                                    failure while loading application: C:\Sesame2\Data\ARCHIVE_CHEMIE_2012.db.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #7 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 8:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Amor,

Looking at your log file, the second error message you get would be two lines not one. The DB and DAT files referenced will not load in standalone or Client/Server. So it could be that you have separate copies of them.

Either the DB or DAT file is set to be read-only, my guess would be the DAT file. Also since it was set to read-only, perhaps by an anti-virus or backup program, Sesame was unable to write to it. So the DB file says there should be a record 152,728 but the DAT file does not include that record. This can also be caused by a newer DB file when run with an older DAT file caused by copying one file but not the other.

If you send the DB and DAT files to support@lantica.com, I can see if I can't get them to open for you and send them back.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Amor
Members

No personal text

Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 10:12am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray-
i would like to thank you for the remarks and for the assistance provided. I have good backups so we do not need  to  repaire  the old files.

Thanks.

IP Logged