Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Trying to find a programming/design change (Read 1484 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Trying to find a programming/design change
Mar 21st, 2012 at 4:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Lately we've noticed that, when using the Invoice form of our application, there is a noticeable delay when clicking from one tab to the next, sometimes taking as long as 4 or 5 seconds.  I back up the application at the end of every month, and have found that this occurs starting at the end of December.  The backup copies are saved on my local hard drive, so I know it's not a network problem (it occurs wherever the file is saved.)  I also save a copy of the DSR every time I make a change, as well as copies of the application before and after the reconciliation.

After firing up all the application backups made since November, I've found that the problem occurs in my "2011-12-21 after reconciliation MIARA" application, but not in my "2011-12-21 before reconciliation MIARA" application.   So something in my "2011-12-21 reconciliation MIARA" DSR is the culprit.

Any advice on what would be the best way to track this down?    I'm not sure if it's a programming change or a design change, or maybe both.  My plan right now is to use Designer to create a DSR for each of the apps, and then try to compare them.  Is there a way to export the programming for the entire app into a text file, of do I need to do it form by form?  Comparing text files is easy, I use a program called Beyond Compare.   Comparing the DSR files themselves is not helpful with this, since all I see is computer code in the comparison window.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Trying to find a programming/design change
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 5:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Scott,

You can export the entire application out to XML and then do a compare on the resulting XML files. I would recommend removing all data records from both DSR's before doing this as it will result in a smaller and more reasonable XML file.

What I would do as a simple test is in a copy of your current DSR, delete all programming from the Invoice Form using Edit->Delete All Programming in the Program editor. Save and preview. If the problem goes away, it's something in programming, If it doesn't the problem is in the design.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 5:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Ray, I'll try all of your suggestions.   What I've found so far is that prior to the reconciliation my Invoice form's first tab looked like this:
http://www.jamiara.com/images/Invoice-2011-12-21-before.jpg   
and afterwards it looked like this:
http://www.jamiara.com/images/Invoice-2011-12-21-after.jpg

As you can see I enlarged the "Lookup" field (called "Checkcode" in my programming) and moved it above the "Code" field (called "Bill_to_code" in the programming), with everything else on the tab shifting down a bit to accommodate.  The size of the display type for this field was increased as well.    My boss refuses to buy glasses.    Undecided

Comparison of the exported programming for the form shows no change to the code except that the following moved from line 1723 in the printout to line 1840:
Code
Select All
** PROGRAMMING SECTION: [Bill_To_Code] [On Element Change] **
// Populates the Customer info section

IF (@ISBLANK(Bill_To_Code) or Bill_To_Code = 0)
THEN
{
	ClearCustInfo()
}

ELSE IF NOT @IsBlank(Bill_To_Code)
Then
{
	LookupBillToInfo()
}

// Recalculates the Customer Discount amount if the Percentage is populated by the Workorder

IF (Details_Customer_Discount_label = "CUSTOMER DISCOUNT" AND Details_Customer_Discount_Percentage > 0)
THEN CalculateCustomerDiscount()

Such relocation would be expected when fields move around, I presume.

I'm going to try your suggestions, thanks again, but perhaps the solution is as simple as putting things back where they were.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 6:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Data records chumped and export to XML done for both DSRs.    Comparison in progress.    It's been 10 minutes now, comparison programming still chugging along, so far there are about 70,000 differences.  I dunno what the heck's going on, I can't read XML.

Going to try the programming dump next.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 7:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
After trying the above suggestions with no success, I was sad.   Cry   So I took a break, had a walk away from my office, sipping a mango flavored Gazzu.

Then I redesigned the Code and Lookup fields, setting them to the same box size and font size, placing them on the same Y coordinate and putting them back in their original order in the flow.  The problem....went away.

Now I am happy and full of pep, yay.   Cheesy

Curious as to what may have been happening though.  Any ideas?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 8:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Was the lookup element wider than the Sesame form window on the client machines, meaning did they have to scroll to see the far right hand side of it?

Reason I ask is I seem to recall an obscure little bug in 2.5.2 that has been fixed in 2.5.3 that had to do with elements that were wider than the Sesame window and were located on tab pages.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 4:10am
Print Post Print Post  
Slightly off topic - I've noticed before that if I inadvertently save my program designer with 'snap to grid' ON in the Editing Controls command window, screens are sluggish.  Once I go back in and turn that switch to OFF, everything's good again.

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 1:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Larry,

Huh, that's a new one to me. I'll have a look into it and see what is going on.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 2:16am
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

I can't clearly remember if the sluggishness occurs while I'm still in Designer, or if it carries over to runtime.

I actually have a vague recollection of someone mentioning that awhile back (a year?  more?) and Mark commented that he had fixed it (but I can't remember for which version - past or future pending).

Larry
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 1:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Was the lookup element wider than the Sesame form window on the client machines, meaning did they have to scroll to see the far right hand side of it?

Reason I ask is I seem to recall an obscure little bug in 2.5.2 that has been fixed in 2.5.3 that had to do with elements that were wider than the Sesame window and were located on tab pages.

-Ray

Nope.  Last year one user had a small monitor on which she had to scroll, but in August everyone in the company got 27" monitors.

You can see images of the screens with the links I posted above.    Here's a shot of how it looks now:
http://www.jamiara.com/images/Invoice-2011-12-21-after-redesign.jpg

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 3:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Scott,

Yeah I saw it on the links you had posted just wasn't sure if anyone had a smaller monitor. I'm not sure what might have been the cause of it then.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #11 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 3:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Mar 23rd, 2012 at 2:16am:
Ray,

I can't clearly remember if the sluggishness occurs while I'm still in Designer, or if it carries over to runtime.

I actually have a vague recollection of someone mentioning that awhile back (a year?  more?) and Mark commented that he had fixed it (but I can't remember for which version - past or future pending).

Hi Larry,

A bit of a slowdown in Designer I would expect as when moving things it has to do some math to snap to grid, but it should never affect runtime at all, which is why I was a bit confused by what you were saying.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged