Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) sesame server crash, but clients think all is well (Read 2228 times)
lksseven

sesame server crash, but clients think all is well
Apr 2nd, 2012 at 2:02am
Print Post Print Post  
A couple of times in the last year and a half, the following scenario has played out:     the Sesame server crashes (with the Windows notice to the screen that "sesame.exe has crashed and will be closed - do you want to send a report to Microsoft about this error?"), but the Sesame clients continue to look and act normal, so users are inputting data for a while until finally someone's Sesame client gets 'kicked out', and we investigate and discover the Sesame server crash.   Well, when I "unlock" the database and restart the server, all of our input data from earlier in the day is gone (or at least back to the last backup earlier in the day (orders that got created and printed and saved somehow don't 'stick', and are lost upon reboot of the server).

My knee jerk suspicion is always that Windows is to blame.  Is this a Windows issue?  Or has the Sesame server gotten 'glitched' for some reason (probably my programming somewhere having a random hiccup) and become hobbled but not immediately disabled?  Either way, 'Is there a way for me to program code so that the Sesame server notifies Sesame clients immediately when Sesame server performance becomes degraded?

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: sesame server crash, but clients think all is well
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 1:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Larry,

Can you send me the s2_log0000.log file from the Server computer so that I can have a look at it and see if it can give me any clues as to what is happening?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 1:07am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray,

I'll grab it with gotomypc tonight ("yea! gotomypc") and send it.  Thank you.

File has now been sent.

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 8:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Larry,

Do any of your User's recall seeing the following error message on Friday?

Quote:
Error: Cannot save changes to the current database.
File permissions may be locked.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 2:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

I'll ask around today.

I do know that I have a 'toggle tableview' command button in my POLines that will quite often cause a sesame error box and tone to pop up.  It usually repeats 3 times, then stops.  It's a button that I originally programmed 3 years at the beginning of my learning curve, and had a complicated string of 'make this list of fields invisible if tableview' and 'that list of fields invisible if formview'.  I never could get it to work just right, but what I didn't realize was how often one of my users used that button.  So I guess she was constantly causing sesame errors to popup on her client machine.  I have since disabled that button and provided an alternative method for her to see a realtime listing of line items.   It may have no bearing on this server crash issue, but in case it could ...

Larry
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 3:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Have you turned off the warningLevel ( ) without turning it on immediately after completing the task where warning interfered with smooth sailing? Like below:

Code
Select All
                       WarningLevel(0)
			XResultSetOpenForm(vRSHandle, "Immunization")
			WarningLevel(1)

IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 7:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat,

That's a good suggestion - I'll check my code.

Larry
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #7 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 7:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

No one reports seeing any Sesame error messages Friday or Thursday.

As some background education for me so that I might know what to look for in the event it happens again, what types of things might cause that server crash (including common Windows glitches or network anomalies that are well know n amongst techies)?

Larry
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 8:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
I suppose a little background on what you are probably seeing:

Sesame client / server works by having the client issue a command to the server. The server then does that command and replies to the client. The client will wait for that reply. So, if you have clients that are still issuing commands, the server hasn't crashed.

I'm guessing that Ray figures that for some reason (anit-virus, backup, or other system wide program) is wandering by and telling the OS to lock your Sesame application files on the server. The server can still receive and reply to commands, but can't save the results to the application files - even though it is changing that application in memory. Eventually, being unable to write out changes, or for some unrelated reason, the server goes down.

Ray, am-I-right?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 6:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
The Cow wrote on Apr 5th, 2012 at 8:22pm:
Ray, am-I-right?

Pretty darn close. According to the Sesame log on the Server we were unable to write to the .DB file. Now it could be that the crash message you saw Larry was a part of Sesame that was trying to write out to the disk but hit an error and crashed but Sesame as a whole kept running. But when a new change was made we were unable to access the DB as the crashed thread had it open. However, when we are unable to access the the DB or DAT files, we write to the log file on the server(which we did) and we tell the clients "Error: Cannot save changes to the current database. File permissions may be locked."(which nobody seems to have seen).

As for what is causing the crash, I am not sure as nothing in our log indicates that a crash has occurred just that we can't access the DB file.

Everybody is running 2.5.2 correct?
In the windows Event viewer on the server, open the application log, export all events as an .evt or .evtx file and shoot them over to me in an e-mail when you get a moment.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #10 - Apr 7th, 2012 at 4:55am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray,

I will try to get to the server over the weekend and get the info you requested.

I wonder if the following 'aside' could have something to do with this issue - for quite a while now, intermittently we would have a user working in PO's, and be unable to make changes to a PO because Sesame said it was 'locked',  but no one else would be in PO's at all.  The only way to unlock the PO was to go exit the Sesame client on a computer in the warehouse that we use to 'receive' incoming inventory.  It's an older computer running XP.  I finally got irritated enough about it to replace it with a newer computer, but the intermittent problem would still occur.  For an unrelated reason, I just this week replaced that newer computer with yet another computer.   And lo and behold, we had another 'record is locked' occur while posting/printing a batch of invoices in Sesame (and that computer has nothing to do with invoicing or order screens.    As I've had 3 computers in that slot, but the problem doesn't go away, it's obviously not a 'specific pc' problem.  So Thursday, thinking perhaps the network cable (which sounds nuts, but not too long ago I had a malfuncting computer on a different node that was making me crazy because I could not pin down the ghost.  I tried everything, and finally discovered that the network cable had somehow 'gone bad' - once I replaced the cable, she was running like the wind) or the network switch on that node was malfunctioning, I bypassed the existing ethernet cable and connected that network node via a different cable route.  I've got my eye on it for the next week or two to see if the problem is resolved, or will continue to vex me.   

But your description of what was happening (Sesame couldn't write to .db, and a crashed thread had a record 'locked') got me to wondering if perhaps the two issues are  really one and the same?  Could my possibly defective network cable be causing the server crash as well as the intermittent phantom 'locked record' ?

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #11 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 1:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Larry,

A phantom locked record is usually caused by one of two things. 1: A Sesame Client has a record open and the client is suddenly exited(Power outage, Pressing Power button, Client side crash, etc) 2. An XResultSet() search that is not being closed. Now since you say the record became unlocked after you closed the Sesame Client, I am leaning towards number 2.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #12 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 9:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

I'll investigate that. 

I am clueless about how to locate the windows application log you have requested I send you.

Larry
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #13 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 4:47am
Print Post Print Post  
I have painstakingly gone through the programming on the app features that are usually used on the warehouse computer in question.  Can't find an instance of an omitted XResultSetClose.  I'm going to try two different things - 1) all activities normally done on the warehouse computer I'll have done on a different computer.  If I still have 'locked record' problems, I'll suspect strongly that the problem is in my programming somewhere;  if I don't have any 'locked record' issues crop up, then I'll suspect a network problem  2) If a network problem, I'll replace a couple of network switches on the side of the network that the warehouse computer operates on, and monitor ongoing results.

My bet is on a defective network switch or cable.

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #14 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 3:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Apr 10th, 2012 at 4:47am:
I have painstakingly gone through the programming on the app features that are usually used on the warehouse computer in question.  Can't find an instance of an omitted XResultSetClose.

It could be that it's not omitted but that it doesn't run. I have seen similar to the following before
Code
Select All
vRS = @XResultSetSearch(@Fn, "Customers", 0, 2, "Key=" + Key)
If vRS >= 0 Then
{
	If @XResultSetTotal(vRS) = 1 Then
	{
		XResultSetClose(vRS)
	}
	Else
	{
		@MsgBox("Either no Customer Record or Multiple Customer Records found", "Please refine your search","")
	}
} 

There is an XResultSetClose() BUT it only runs if there was only 1 record found. So if it found two records, the resultset is not closed so the first record will be marked as locked.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print