Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) BACKUP ON INTERVAL (Read 3920 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

BACKUP ON INTERVAL
Apr 4th, 2012 at 10:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Can someone point me towards good info on BACKUP ON INTERVAL?

I have searched the forum, looked in inside sesame and the info seems to elude me.

I understand it is part of the ini file  and I know its client server based but I am confused (what else is new) that if I update all user Ini files will I have multiple attempts at backups based on the users login time?

{ Edit - To clarify what I mean about the different user times, if a user is not doing anything important (a salesperson putting in a note) compared to someone posting payments will the backup be ran at a different interval based on the seconds set.
So if the person posting payments has their time set to 300 seconds but does not change any data and the sales person has their time set to 3600 seconds and changes data will sesame wait the 3600 seconds before the backup? }

Other then the "Housekeeping" it will take to remove lots of backups at the end of a day is there a downside to having the interval set to say every 5 minutes?

At 5 minute intervals in a 12 hour day IF data has changed in that 5 minutes that would only be 240 files. Most would be deleted at the end of a day so space is not the issue, is server speed or something else technical impacted?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2012 at 12:35am by BOBSCOTT »  

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: BACKUP ON INTERVAL
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 5:09am
Print Post Print Post  
How much data are you entering, how critical is it, and how great are the stability/unreliability issues that you would need anywhere near 144 backups per day?

Any reason not to use a RAID mirrored disk setup or schedule an OS task that automatically copies the data files to another machine (perhaps offsite) every so often?

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 5:13am
Print Post Print Post  
I guess a slightly off-topic question ...

Can Sesame (perhaps Sesame 3) do full transaction processing, including rollback?

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 5:59am
Print Post Print Post  
Rick_R wrote on Apr 5th, 2012 at 5:09am:
How much data are you entering,?

Data entry 12 hrs a day all kinds of other tasks throughout the day.

how critical is it, and how great are the stability/unreliability issues that you would need anywhere near 144 backups per day?

Any time data is lost its critical to someone, the bean counters care about productivity, Managers care about getting the job done and I feel terrible making people re-do their work a second time.

As far as stability/unreliability issues, sometimes months go by without issue but when a problem starts it sometimes sticks around for a bit. Often when we try to improve things we create unexpected problems.

Any reason not to use a RAID mirrored disk setup or schedule an OS task that automatically copies the data files to another machine (perhaps offsite) every so often?

Raid drives is great when a drive fails but when someone does something silly like delete things, or a programmed feature runs amuck  a recent back up is all that stands between epic fail and momentary set-back. 

As far as an OS task that automatically copies the data files to another machine that again would be if I was trying to have my back-up off site for protection of server failure,  very important but not my goal in this case.

As long as I am the main coder 144 backups a day probably is not enough.  Smiley

IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 1:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
I also use the BACKUP ON INTERVAL to back up my database, and use a batch file to delete backups older than 7 days, triggered only by my own 'admin' logon. It's not perfect but it works for me.

This is my application programming:

Code
Select All
var nn as Int
var vTemp as Int

If @UserID <> "Admin"
{
	CloseCommandArea(1)
	DisableMenubarItem("&File")
	DisableMenubarItem("&Save")
	DisableMenubarItem("&Edit")
	DisableMenubarItem("&Macro")
	DisableMenubarItem("&Help")
	DisableMenubarItem("&Quick Start Menu")
	DisableMenubarItem("&New Application...")
	DisableMenubarItem("&Open Application...")
	DisableMenubarItem("&View")
	nn = @RedirectProcess("cmd /C del /Q C:\Sesame2\*.htm","")
}
Else // Admin is opening.
{
        nn = @ASynchShell("P:\Sesame2\Utilities\cleanup.bat")
//	nn = @ASynchShell("c:\sesame2\HTMLcleanup.bat")
	nn = @RedirectProcess("cmd /C del /Q C:\Sesame2\*.htm","")
}

// Historical QA Database uses @AppSaveMode = be sure that we can now save again.
AppSaveMode(0) 

The First ASynchShell command calls 'cleanup.bat' from the server. So this runs only when I open the application, because I'm not fazed by a black cmd window popping up on me everytime I open Sesame.

Here are the contents of the .BAT file.

Code
Select All
:: cleanup.bat
:: This file cleans up the server's sesame2 directory, removing outdated files.
:: The command below will change the attributes of any files that should be deleted.
attrib p:\sesame2\acesystem2\acesystem2*.* -r
:: The command below will delete any file that matches AceSystem2*.* and is older than 7 days.
p:\sesame2\utilities\forfiles -pp:\sesame2\acesystem2 -mAceSystem2*.* -d-7 -c"CMD /C DEL /Q @FILE"
:: The ping command below forces the batch file to pause for 10 seconds. (10,000 milliseconds.)
::PING 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 10000 >NUL 

I use a little program call 'forfiles' that handles this, which is placed in the same directory as the BAT file. The command that's being called will delete files older than 7 days, so that the server isn't being slowly filled by backup files. The syntax for 'forfiles' took some tweaking and experimentation until I got it just right, but it can be googled.

Others, I'm sure, have a more elegant solution, but this is working for me. Hope it helps.

IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 2:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ace,

Thanks.  That's good stuff that will help me.

Bob,

"As long as I am the main coder 144 backups a day probably is not enough.  "     ...... that made me laugh out loud - thanks!

Larry
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 5:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ace,

Thanks for the valuable info and tips, they are greatly appreciated

Anyone,

If i add this info below to the users Ini file should it be backing up every 5 minutes if there has been a change to the database? should it back up to the same place as when I press a command button with BackupApplication() in it?
// Backup time
BACKUP ON INTERVAL:300

Thanks!

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 5:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Robert,

"BACKUP ON INTERVAL" is a server setting. It is ignored on clients. It will backup the application files every 5 minutes, without regard for changes.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 6:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
The Cow wrote on Apr 5th, 2012 at 5:50pm:
Robert,

"BACKUP ON INTERVAL" is a server setting. It is ignored on clients. It will backup the application files every 5 minutes, without regard for changes.

I am sorry to keep asking about this but I am a bit confused.

I know if anyone knows what something does its you guys and gals so I am not questioning  what you say, some of my confusion comes from page 548 in my users 2.0  guide. It said that a backup is only made if changes have been made within the past interval.

So in baby terms, third grade level. where do I put my BACKUP ON INTERVAL Command? Not the users INI file but the servers? (Remember some of your users like me are a bit mentally challenged)

Thanks again

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 7:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
BOBSCOTT wrote on Apr 5th, 2012 at 6:42pm:
The Cow wrote on Apr 5th, 2012 at 5:50pm:
Robert,

I am sorry to keep asking about this but I am a bit confused.

I know if anyone knows what something does its you guys and gals so I am not questioning  what you say, some of my confusion comes from page 548 in my users 2.0  guide. It said that a backup is only made if changes have been made within the past interval.

Da. You (and the docs) appear to be correct. It only backs up the file if that file has been changed since the last backup.

Quote:
So in baby terms, third grade level. where do I put my BACKUP ON INTERVAL Command? Not the users INI file but the servers? (Remember some of your users like me are a bit mentally challenged)

Thanks again

You put it in the sesame.ini file on the server.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #10 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 7:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
You put it in the sesame.ini file on the server.

Perfect! THANKS so much.

IP Logged