Normal Topic error lost connection to server Problem (Read 1233 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

error lost connection to server Problem
Apr 16th, 2012 at 10:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have been using Sesame server on a windows 7 machine over the web for a while and it has worked flawlessly.

I recently upgraded the user lic and since adding more users I have people getting an error lost connection to server and being kicked out.

They can log back in no problem, It does not cause a locked situation and there seems to be no "phantom" users logged in after they are booted.

There is nothing that I can find that seems to be a pattern, no time of day, no specific workstations, no specific tasks.

The only real change has been user lic and amount of people banging on it.  (have no proof or reason to beleive this is part of the problem- just pointing out the change)

What should I be looking for? What steps should I take to identify my problem?

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

lksseven

Re: error lost connection to server Problem
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 1:44am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob,

What is your upload/download internet speed (both at the server, and at the remote clients)?

I've got anecdotal experience with more frequent connection problems if there isn't enough speed (and although the problem is rare, it seems to happen most often with WIFI, not wired, connection.

Larry
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 12:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
I suspect that adding more users simply added more routes between clients and the server. The more routers/card/wires, the more points of possible failure. Have you ever used the traceroute (in MS: tracert) utility?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 1:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Apr 17th, 2012 at 1:44am:
What is your upload/download internet speed (both at the server, and at the remote clients)?

Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure thats not the issue. Everyone with the problem and the server unit is on a network consisting of 3 bonded T1's. using speed test software they all show about 5.29 Mbps download and 5.28 Mbps upload speeds.

The Cow wrote on Apr 17th, 2012 at 12:58pm:
I suspect that adding more users simply added more routes between clients and the server. The more routers/card/wires, the more points of possible failure.

Sounds logical, However I would think other users not in Sesame but connected to other apps via the web would also have  connection issues at the same time and they don't.

The only common denominator is Sesame.

Have you ever used the traceroute (in MS: tracert) utility?

Nope, but todays learning experience will be traceroute.

Thanks for the ideas and help!

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 2:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
I suspect that adding more users simply added more routes between clients and the server. The more routers/card/wires, the more points of possible failure.

Quote:
Sounds logical, However I would think other users not in Sesame but connected to other apps via the web would also have  connection issues at the same time and they don't.

The only common denominator is Sesame.

Depends a lot on the programs involved. Most modern programs do not require a constant connection. Web browsers, as a typical example, will connect a disconnect frequently. This can mask connection problems, because most of the time the browser is not actually connected at all. Sesame2 requires a continuous connection.

Your business is using a bonded T1, are all of your clients on bonded T1s? Are all of the points between your clients and the server on T1s. Are all of the routers between all of your clients and your server, part of the same network? Are all of those routers operating well?

Run traceroute from the server to one of the troubled clients or vice-versa when there is a problem. See if you get consistent results over time. See if it is particular clients that disconnect frequently. If so, investigate their connection and points between their client and the server (card, cable, router, modem, trans-route routers, etc...)

Sesame3 depends a lot less on a constant connection and has reconnection capability built into it, just for remote cases like your's.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 6:20am
Print Post Print Post  
Two years ago I had similar complaints from a client -- Sesame was losing connections to the server when connecting over the Internet.

It turned out that the routers were closing TCP connections after about 10 minutes of inactivity. Since you've added new users, maybe they work differently than the existing users (i.e. maybe they are leaving Sesame idle for 10 minute periods, and the old users were constantly doing something in Sesame).

I couldn't find a way to disable this TCP timeout function of the routers (at least not in the consumer grade boxes). So, the solution I came up with was to add some code that would "Ping" the Sesame server on regular intervals. This keeps the routers from closing the TCP connection. It's worked well for the last two years this way.

You can easily find out if this is what is happening in your case. Just leave Sesame open (from one of the off-site locations), and don't navigate among forms or records for 15-20 minutes. Then, after that time has passed, try to search for some records, or something. This is the point where you will see Sesame have trouble. (I can't remember if there was an error message, or if Sesame simply closed at this point.)

If this turns out to be your problem, let me know so I can post my full solution.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 2:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl,

Thanks for the info. It happens while the user is typing and doing things within Sesame, so I do not think inactivity is the issue, however its great information. I believe Mark has me on the correct path and I am going through equipment and connections looking for issues. 

Now what I wonder is why you saw the loss of connection on inactivity, and I lose my mind because users do not log out and they stay connected the entire night sometimes.

Thanks Again.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 2:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Robert,
One of the most frequent ways we have seen users lose connection is the client-side firewall. A couple of them, including the MS default firewall, allow a connection to persist for a while before shutting it down. I have no idea why. Furthermore, some of them, including the MS default, will reset their port settings after any OS update. So even if you set the port / application etc as "allowed", a quiet update to the OS will reset it back to disallowed.

These problems are compounded if the client is running multiple firewalls. Many of the third party security apps now come with firewalls and these interfere with one another. Never run more than one on a box. Or, better, use a hardware firewall between all of the boxes on any one leg of the network, and none on the individual computers - unless you are concerned that boxes behind the hardware firewall are attacking each other.

IP Logged