Normal Topic @PopupMenu options (Read 699 times)
tcgeo

@PopupMenu options
Apr 21st, 2012 at 12:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Application has several fields that require Yes/No, Yes/No/Unknown type answers. Customer wants data entry person to see the options upon entering LE rather than, 1st click for Yes, next click for No, etc. I settled on using @PopupMenu without a menu header because it uses a smaller profile than @PopupChoiceList and in general looks better for this application, and a combo box is not wanted because of the arrow. A combo box without the arrow, just clicking in the LE for the list, would be perfect. Of course customer wants to see the options in order of Yes, No, Unknown. @PopupMenu automatically sorts the list. To “defeat” the auto sort, a slash is placed at the end of the last selection. This works, however, it also produces the “sub-selections" arrow. I know that the customer will comment on this, is there any crafty way of getting rid of the arrow? Or, are there any other options for showing a list like this with a small profile? 

*EDIT* Additionally, I also see that after the selection is made using @PopupMenu the cursor automatically jumps to the first LE on the tab, unlike @PopupChoiceList that goes to the next LE. Throwfocus does not solve this issue. Any ideas for this?   

Thanks

Brandon
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2012 at 2:13pm by tcgeo »  
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: @PopupMenu options
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 1:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
If your choice is limited to Yes, No or <>1 and <> 0 then CheckBox will be ideal. You could put a text element just after the checkbox to qualify the unknown that is neither yes nor No. You probably know that checkbox has 3 possible values.

The more related to your question, why don't you try to replace "/" with "//" and see how does that behave?  I had similar problem with data with forward slash and that was corrected by replacing forward slash with double forward slash.

IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 1:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bharat,

"//" negates the "no sort" option and produces selections like this:

No/
Yes

This won't work for them.

Also, customer just doesn't want a check box.

Thanks for the ideas,

Brandon

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 3:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is far from ideal, but if you put the slash immediately after the selections, you get an unsorted list with right-arrows next to each item. (One slash would work, but leave the list looking even stranger because only one item would have an arrow to the right of it.)

@PopupMenu("Yes/;No/; /", "")

Still, you'd be far better off if you could make room for (or tolerate) the down-arrow, and use a combo box.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 3:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
I agree with you Carl on the combo box option. However, they are sticklers for having it exactly like they want it, if you know what I mean (kind of demanding). Also there are about 70 LE's , that I am aware of thus far, that they want working like this and changing them over to combo boxes could be a long process.

Also, if they overlook the arrow issue, I'm not sure that they will like the fact that after selection, the cursor goes back to the first LE on the tab (kinda perplexed on this, like, why is it doing that, is there something else making it behave like this, or is it @PopupMenus default). Using the code below, using Throwfocus on the LE and in the subroutine, separately & trying one at a time, does not allow you to reenter an LE that you place a selection in because of @Isblank. I tried CNext in the subroutine for kicks without success.

Thanks for your ideas,

Brandon

Here's the code...

Code
Select All
Subroutine YesNoOnly()
If @IsBlank(ThisElement)
{
	PopupSelectPosition(4, @XPos(ThisElement), @YPos(ThisElement))
	ThisElement = @PopupMenu("Yes;No/","")
}
End Subroutine 

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 6:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
It seems like you want to have Yes first and then No. Why don't you put

1. Yes
2. No

This way you would avoid putting the /  for not sorting. That way they can press 1 for Yes also, or just click that line.  When picking up value just pick up Last three characters.  I know this is not the perfect solution.

IP Logged