Normal Topic Need help - file damaged (Read 790 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Need help - file damaged
Jun 30th, 2012 at 8:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
One of my users accidentally tried to "move" our application files...somewhere.   Didn't happen because it was in use the system stopped the move, but the Read-Only attribute was set on them, and even after fixing that I get "cannot open" errors.   Sunlock fails.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Re: Need help - file damaged
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 9:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
I managed to open the file with Designer.  I then saved as a new application.  Seems to be working.  Is there any way to determine if any data got chumped? I saved the bad .dat and .db in case there's any way to "revive" them.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 8:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Jun 30th, 2012 at 9:40pm:
I managed to open the file with Designer.  I then saved as a new application.  Seems to be working.  Is there any way to determine if any data got chumped? I saved the bad .dat and .db in case there's any way to "revive" them.

It may be possible to "revive" the db and dat. It is likely, since you were able to open them with sdesigner, that they were merely set to read only. Did you alter the file permissions to get them to load in sdesigner?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 2:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
First I pulled the files off the server to prevent further user interaction, and made backups.  Then I tried opening with Sesame standalone.  Got the message "set to read only" and then an error opening.  Closed that, checked the attributes, saw "RA" on both dat and db.  Changed the attribs and tried opening.  No more "read only" message, but still wouldn't open.  Then I tried panicking for a while, but that didn't help either.

Then I tried swapping the db with one from a recent backup, but Sesame didn't like that.  So I went to find my last night's backup and discovered that a tech that I had hired on June 20 had paused my backup routine while working on a problem with another program (Quickbooks) and had never re-activated it when he left, so I had nothing backed up for the last 10 days.  So I gave panicking another shot, this time really putting some adrenaline into it, but it still didn't help, nor did mentally updating my resume because now I was sure to be fired.

The next half hour is a blur in my memory.  I do remember saying "Oh God" a lot.  At some point I decided to give Designer a shot opening it while I prayed.  It opened.  I passed out.  When I awoke I saved as new, checked some of the files, and things looked OK.  But worries continue.  However, I am on vacation this week so I'm hoping everything works out well for the folks at the office and if not I'll deal with it on the 9th.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged