Normal Topic Elements bound to same field modified in Tableview (Read 613 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Elements bound to same field modified in Tableview
Aug 10th, 2012 at 9:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Are there any known issues of problems with data sticking when changed on a tableview subform that is in an element bound to a field of another element? (Type being Money)

I have a form that I use as a subform in both table and formview. I have an element named HicfaDB_B28 that is a money field. (amount Billed) That element is at the bottom of the screen when viewed in formview so the user will see it exactly the way it would look as if they were viewing a printed form they have been using for years.

But when it is in table view, they see all the subforms associated with this record and I want them to see the Amount billed info  at the beginning of the list. I created a new element named HicfaDB_AmountBilled and bound it to HicfaDB_B28 and placed that new element at the top so in table view the info is in the correct place as well as were it needs to be for the form look.

Now my problem is if I edit the amount in the new element HicfaDB_AmountBilled in tableview and f10 to a new record the changes do not stick. But if I delete HicfaDB_AmountBilled from my form and move HicfaDB_B28 to the top and do the same edit in table view the changes stick.

Also if I have both elements on my form and am in form view my changes to HicfaDB_AmountBilled stick properly from either element.

I believe the bound elements to the same field should behave the same in tableview or formview.

So is my thought process wrong on what I am attempting or is it something else I need to be concerned about.

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Elements bound to same field modified in Tableview
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 3:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
BOBSCOTT wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 9:17pm:
I believe the bound elements to the same field should behave the same in tableview or formview.

So do I. Unfortunately, the reality is that the underlying code for table view is much more complicated than form view. Trying to maintain a table of records, all of which are constantly available for editing, and also maintain the Q&A keystroke behavior, while also approximating the same response as seen in form view, while neither view even existed in our Q&A model, produced some differences between tables and forms. I've worked hard to try and eliminate these differences, and I will keep working on them till there are none notable.

If I am reading your end goal correctly, would it be possible to use the table spec to move the element to first, without creating a second linking?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Elements bound to same field modified in Tableview
Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 7:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
The Cow wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 at 3:49pm:
would it be possible to use the table spec to move the element to first, without creating a second linking?

This may sound like a really silly question but how do I get the table view spec I created to run on the subform. I have played with all the load spec and run spec commands and have failed to get it to work properly.

I have a button that when pressed  brings the user to a tab page that has the subform and turns it to tableview.

I figured I needed to run a table spec after my FormViewType() command to get the elements the user needs in the order needed displayed.

Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks

gototabpage(LE69,2)
FormViewType("Hicfa", FORM_VIEW_TYPE_Table) // changes subform to form view

//tableview spec and run command goes here

ForceRedraw()

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged