Normal Topic Who is in record element. (Read 713 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Who is in record element.
Sep 4th, 2012 at 1:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Everyone using our app is so tired of walking around and asking are you in so n so's record when they enter a locked record that they need to work on.

I thought a fast and dirty solution was to create an unbound element named WhoInRecord that when a record is entered on entry Sbasic uses my @ClientLocalValue("MyName") to place the users name into element so it would be seen by others in the greyed out locked record.

That did not work I am figuring because the unbound element not being tied to a field has no way of passing data along to the other users.

My next thought is to make WhoInRecord  bound to a field and on record entry fill it and on record exit clear it. Is this an ok way to achieve  my goal?

Is the entering and clearing of the element going to adversely affect the  system speed?

Is there a better way to accomplish this? Am I missing an Sbasic command that does this?

All thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Who is in record element.
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 2:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
With a bound element, you will need to commit the record when you change that element to the user's ID. That may not be ideal.

Instead, consider using one of the GlobalValue system and create a "tag" for each user, settings its value to a unique element/field from the record that they are on. That way you are storing only one piece of information per user, rather than one piece for every record.

When a user enters a record, run through each of the user IDs and check if that record's unique field value matches. If so, display the user ID.

Remember to clear it for the locking user when they leave the record.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 3:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob,

You may also want to check out Inside Sesame, February 2009. There's an article by Alec Mulvey called "How to Know Who's Locking Records" that I believe you may also find useful.

Good luck,

Brandon

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 3:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Guys!

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More