Normal Topic Backup on interval question (Read 415 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Backup on interval question
Sep 13th, 2012 at 5:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
presently I have in my Ini file BACKUP ON INTERVAL: 300 That backs up my applications every 5 min. It creates the file in the current working directory.

That has worked well for a backup method when dealing with corrupted data, however since it is on the same drive as the application if the drive was to fail I would lose the actual and backup files.

When reading the Sesame manual about Backup on interval it says a directory is created (if none exists) in the current working directory that is named after the application file.

I hoped to set the backup to a different drive or machine where my main offsite backup system would then swipe the files at periodic times throughout the day.

I interpreted the manual to mean that I could specify the application to backup and where to back it up in my ini file by modifying my statement  from

BACKUP ON INTERVAL: 300 //backing up all my application files
to
BACKUP ON INTERVAL: 300 myapp //backing up application myapp
or
BACKUP ON INTERVAL: 300 myapp  f:\databackup      //backing up application myapp to the d drive databackup directory.

However the only one I can seem to get to work is

BACKUP ON INTERVAL: 300 //backing up all my application files

Am I interpreting the manual incorrectly? Do I have the syntax wrong?

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Backup on interval question
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 6:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Robert,

Looks like you misinterpreting the documentation

BACKUP ON INTERVAL: 300

is the only syntax that will work.

What it means when it says "a directory is created (if none exists) in the current working directory that is named after the application file." is that it will create a directory that is named the same thing as the .DB file is named in the Sesame Server's Working directory. So if you have Customers.db open and Sesame Server starts in C:\Sesame2 then Sesame when it comes time to do the backup will create C:\Sesame2\Customers, if it doesn't already exist, and place the backup files in there for Customers. If you also have Zipcode.db open, Sesame Server will back it up as well into C:\Sesame2\Zipcode

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Backup on interval question
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 7:51pm