Normal Topic Change Field Type (Read 689 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Change Field Type
Oct 30th, 2012 at 5:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

Can I change an element from a date field to a static text button?

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Re: Change Field Type
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 1:00am
Print Post Print Post  
Do you mean a static text element, or a command button? Actually, it doesn't matter because neither of these can be bound to a field.

Maybe you mean that you want to display the date from a (hidden) date field on a command button? That can be done. If that's what you want, you would use something like the following.
Code
Select All
Label(MyCommandButton, @AsFormattedByLE(MyDateLE, 1, "")) 

The Label command is how you change the text on a command button (or a static text LE), and the @AsFormattedByLE command formats it the same as the date LE that we are getting the date from. Without the @AsFormattedByLE part, you would end up with a date that looks like "2012/10/30".

If that's not what you are looking for, please explain more about what you are trying to do.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 5:35am
Print Post Print Post  
Carl -

Sorry that I wasn't clear.  I wanted to change a "date" field to a "command button."

In other words, when looking at the property view I wanted to changed the "Bound to Type" from "Date" to "Static_Push_Button"

I had to get it done so I simply deleted the original elements and added a new ones.

It would have been easier if I could have just changed the "type" the way I can go to Manage Fields and Change the Field type from (for example) "date" to "keyword" etc.

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 6:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
A date field and a text box that is bound to a date field are not the same thing. I'm assuming it's the text box that you wanted to change into a command button.

Deleting an element and creating a new one of a different type that is bound to the same underlying field is the correct way to do that. For example, replacing a text box with a combo box.

Since a command button cannot display the dates in the date element, we're not sure what you are trying to accomplish by changing a text box that displays dates into a command button. Hence the confusion about answering your question.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged