Normal Topic Suggestions needed for file server software to use (Read 633 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Suggestions needed for file server software to use
Nov 15th, 2012 at 6:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have always used a computer on the network to store documents that Sesame creates and accesses.

I map the drive from the users workstation as my S: drive and Sesame uses Sbasic for everyone to access the pdf or other type files that are needed.

Lately I have started to exceed windows XP arbitrary rule that only 10 connections are allowed per machine. I figure that limitation is so people will purchase server software rather than use XP.

So I now need to upgrade to something that is simple to use that allows me to map the machines drive so it will work the same as it does now with sesame  but allows me to exceed the 10 connections.

So I figure someone has done this already and am hoping for some suggestions on what software to upgrade to that will not be very difficult for me to get working.

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Suggestions needed for file server software to use
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 9:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
We have a similar setup.  Are 10 people actually accessing the XP machine simultaneously?

We have about 15 machines with 6 people who use QA almost constantly, and the rest sporadically.  On those other machines, instead of a link directly to QA  I have a batch file with the following:

@echo off
NET USE G: /DELETE
NET USE G: "\\Qaserver\c\qadata" /PERSISTENT:YES
c:\QA\QA1.EXE g:\qadata\status.dtf
NET USE G: /DELETE

All that needs to be done with it is that the people who only need it sporadically remember to exit the program when done.  Chances are many of those will be more tech-oriented, so it won't be hard to get them to do it.

Alternatively, there are now a lot of NAS (Network Attached Storage) cases available for around $100 not counting the hard disks.  They are really Linux servers.  A LOT less expensive than Windows server licenses.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 12:22am
Print Post Print Post  
Rick thanks for the thoughts.

I have Sesame looking to see if documents exist for a patient every time a patient file is accessed and turning buttons red and green and making buttons visible or hidden  so it is constantly looking at the mapped drive with code like below.  It is also creating documents that are placed on the mapped drive very often so I think I need a method to allow more users.

I like the NAS method but will need to see if I can actually map to it the same way.

I guess I need to find out how complicated is it to run server software as opposed to regular windows?

Thanks again for helping!

// This checks to see if the interp form is in the directory and puts a check mark in field element YNInterp      
iF      FileExists(@ClientLocalValue("pathVariable")+"interp\" +ptid+"interp.pdf")      {
           YNInterp = 1
           RGBColor(YNInterp,-1,-1,-1,0,255,0)
           Visibility(ButtonVinterpdoc, 1)      
           Forceredraw()            
     }
     else
     {
           YNInterp = 0
           RGBColor(YNInterp,-1,-1,-1,255,0,0)
           Visibility(ButtonVinterpdoc, 0)      
           Forceredraw()
     }

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 4:21am
Print Post Print Post  
Another option is to use either Mint or Ubuntu Linux.  If so, definitely use the desktop version.  You'll want to use the LTS (Long Term Support) version.  There is an entire thread here about setting up Linux.  Ubuntu does have server versions, which don't use a GUI interface. The server version is basically a stripped-down version of the desktop and you really need to know Linux fairly well to use it.  On the other hand, you can download the desktop install ISO, burn it to disk, and run it in live CD mode without doing an install, to see what it's like.  Or just grab an old hard disk and install on that to experiment.

Several folks here have used it and say it's very fast on even modest hardware.

IP Logged